The Writing Studio is a resource available to help you improve your writing and editing skills. Collaborating with Writing Assistants who have taken the same courses, often from the same professors, helps you gain insights into assignments. We encourage you to come to the Writing Studio when writing papers, even if you don’t have an appointment. Our Writing Consultants will be available to answer questions while you work.
When you get a writing assignment:
- Make an appointment with the Writing Assistant associated with the professor who has assigned your work. You can make your appointment at the Writing Studio in Bixler Hall where there are sign-up sheets, or email the WA to set up a meeting.
Plan to visit the Writing Studio more than once while you are working on an assignment. Please note: Writing Assistants may refuse to review your work if they see it for the first time the day before the assignment is due.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Bring all handouts, instructions, class notes, etc., so you can clearly and completely discuss the assignment with your Writing Assistant.
- Bring USB drives for saving your work. The Studio has 14 computers available for your use.
- If you need help documenting your references, bring sources or accurate accounts of reference materials, including page numbers.
Writing Assistants collaborate with you to:
- Document correctly (APA, MLA, quotations, paraphrases and references)
- Develop ideas, paragraphs and essays
- State and develop a thesis
- Clarify ideas and sentences
- Punctuate properly
- Edit effectively (pronoun references, subject-verb agreement, tense agreement, etc.)
- Edit English as a second language
- Advise revision as indicated by professor’s notes on a paper
What we do not do:
- The Writing Studio is not a tutoring service. We help you develop and explore your own ideas as well as understand course materials. We cannot tutor the material itself.
- Writing Assistants are not proofreaders and will not proofread your work. Please ask them specific questions.