A Brief History of Ashland University

History Photo

Founded in 1878 as Ashland College, the name of the institution was changed to Ashland University on May 12, 1989. This change was a practical and logical step based on the many diverse undergraduate, graduate and professional programs offered by the institution.

Ashland continues to have a rich tradition as a private, liberal arts and sciences institution preparing students for exciting professions and careers. The University consists of six colleges: Arts & Sciences; Business & Economics; Education; Founders School for Continuing Education; Nursing; and the Ashland Theological Seminary.

Ashland University places great emphasis on the importance of each individual. The phrase “Accent on the Individual” has been our motto for many years and, hopefully, characterizes well the nature and content of the campus environment. It means that our concern for the student extends beyond ensuring a quality education in the classroom and laboratory to include a commitment to provide a stimulating and supportive environment in every respect. Translating the ideas of the Mission Statement into the realities of everyday life is the responsibility of each Ashland University employee. These ideas must be evidenced daily in the classroom, residence halls, each teaching site, on the playing fields and in our interaction with others. It should be the goal of each Ashland University employee to ensure that our Mission Statement is not merely words on paper but a true reflection of who and what we actually are and intend to be in the future.