The Music Education major provides professional preparation for students who desire to become music teachers. Students in the program benefit from our strong emphasis on individual mentoring, development of classroom and musical skills and our extensive field experiences. Students choose either vocal or instrumental concentration.
Ashland University’s Music Education Major emphasizes extensive field experiences and the development of classroom skills. We emphasize individual mentoring to help each student reach his or her unique potential as a teacher. You will study with outstanding professors from our Department of Music and our College of Education.
What You’ll Love About the Music Education Program:
- When you choose Music Education as your major, you select either an instrumental or vocal emphasis to suit your talents and interests.
- Music Education majors gain valuable experience through field experience courses in each year of their program, culminating in student internship.
- Student Internship and other field experiences are all supervised by members of the Music Education faculty, which allows extensive mentoring.
- Music Education faculty members have extensive experience teaching in elementary and secondary schools.
- Music ensembles are open to all Ashland University students through an audition process.
- Music scholarships are available for Music majors, minors and participants.
- You will receive extensive individual attention and coaching from your professors.
- You have the opportunity to play with one or more of the Ashland University bands including the Concert Band, the Wind Ensemble, Ashland Area Community Concert Band, the Jazz Orchestra and the Ashland University Eagle Marching Band.
- Ashland University choirs include the University Choir, Chamber Singers, Women's Chorus and the Ashland Area Chorus, giving singers of varying experience and ability an outlet to experience quality performances and the joy of singing.
- Every other year, Music students may have an opportunity to travel overseas with a performance group. Recent excursions have included the University Choir’s trip to Germany and Austria and the Jazz Orchestra’s excursion to Barcelona, Spain.
- Ashland University’s College of Education is nationally recognized as one of the best teacher preparation programs in the state.
- There are nine full time and 15 part-time members of the Music Department faculty, each of whom is an outstanding musician with a particular specialty and area of instruction. Professors enjoy mentoring and working closely with you to help you develop your skills.
- You will always be taught by a professor from your department, never by a graduate student or teaching assistant.
- Our music education program will provide you with the the tools necessary to acquire your license, start a career and even continue your education beyond your bachelor's right here at Ashland University!