Interesting Classes You May Take at AU
- 2-D Design — learn to use line, color, texture, shape, balance and rhythm to create compelling designs
- Digital Art II - explore the creation of fine art in exciting time-based medias, such as video and 2-D and Stop-Motion Animation
- Photography - you may elect to discover the world through the lens of a camera, learning about the tehnical, creative, and historical aspects of digital photography
- Other Studio Art Classes - get hands on with any of our art electives and give your commercial art an edge above the rest with your fine art background
Gain Real World Experience
Students in Ashland’s Commercial Art program are encouraged to work with the Art Department's Internship Coordinator at Ashland University and Career Services while attending AI in Pittsburgh to explore possible internship opportunities in their field.
All graduating art students in every discipline are required to produce a senior exhibition, which usually takes place in the Coburn Gallery at the end of each academic year. This process is overseen by the Senior Exhibition course, which allows graduating artists the experience of staging their own gallery space, and provides feedback on optimal exhibition strategies.
Each year the Coburn Gallery hosts the Annual Student Exhibition, featuring the outstanding work done in art classes during the previous year. The exhibition is juried by an outside professional, who not only chooses the work to be exhibited but designates cash awards. This exhibition allows students to experience the competitive field of professional visual art firsthand.
Students in every art area are reviewed twice prior to their senior year. Foundations Reviews are conducted to evaluate the student’s skill level developed in the Art Foundations Sequence, and to indicate areas of strength as well as those needing improvement. Concentration Reviews are held at the end of the junior year to evaluate each artist’s technical and conceptual development in preparation for their senior exhibition. These reviews are part of the Art Department’s assessment process.
Professors Who Get You Excited About Learning
- You will learn from professors who are not only outstanding teachers but also artists themselves. (See the Faculty Pages to find out more)
- Ashland University art professors give you the personal attention you need to perfect your skills and gain the knowledge you need to fully understand the subject matter.
- Professors keep in contact with students long after they graduate. That’s how interested they are in you and your future success.
What You’ll Love About the Commercial Art Program
- Varying array of majors to choose from within the Design and Media Arts Fields.
- You’ll receive a solid foundation in fine arts training in a well-rounded educational environment.
- You’ll get to experience both the rural Ashland University campus setting and the big city Art Institute campus.
- You’ll earn a Bachelor’s degree, which leads to more opportunity in your future career.
- You’ll enjoy lots of personal attention from your Ashland University professors.