The National Association of School Nurses (2012) defines school nursing as a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, life-long achievement and health of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate normal development and positive student responses to interventions; promote health and safety including a healthy environment; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy and learning.
The School Nurse Licensure Program at Ashland University is an online graduate-level program approved by the Ohio Department of Education and the Ohio Board of Regents. It meets all Ohio standards for School Nurse educational programs and recognizes the ANA/NASN Scope and Standards of Practice for School Nursing (second ed., 2011).
Student Qualifications for Admission
- Possess and maintain an active RN license
- Possess a BSN degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA in previous or current higher education
- Complete the School Nurse Licensure application
- Send official transcripts of all higher education work to:
401 College Avenue
Ashland, Ohio 44805
For further application information, please contact:
All but one of the courses may be completed online. The final course, the Internship, will be done in an actual school setting with an assigned Ashland University supervisor. No on-campus attendance is required.
Upon acceptance into the program, each student will be assigned a faculty advisor to assist in course planning and program progression.
- Graduate Curriculum (Total 15-17 credit hours)
- HS 518 OL (3 credit hours) School Health Environment and Services
- HS 520 OL (2 credit hours) Educational Strategies for Healthcare Providers
- NUR 525 OL (2 credit hours) Health Care of the Community
- EDIS 546 OL (3 credit hours) Introduction to Educational Intervention
- FCS 594 OL (3 credit hours) Advanced Study of Child Development
- HS 680 (2-4 credit hours)* School Nurse Licensure Internship
- OL = online
*Note: The amount of Internship credit required is determined by the verification of the amount of previous school nurse experience.
For further program information, please contact:
Dwight Schar College
of Nursing and Health Sciences
1020 S. Trimble Road, Room 105
Mansfield, Ohio 44906