Academic Advisor - Graduate, Online, and Adult Center for Academic Support
The Graduate, Online, and Adult Center for Academic Support is a centralized department for all academic advising and student support needs for Ashland University's graduate, online and adult student populations. The department's goal is to ensure students are successful in their academic program at Ashland University. They oversee registration of new and current students, coordination of retention strategies and activities, and advising students in their academic program. The goal of the Academic Advisor is to maintain an advising and coaching relationship with students to promote high levels of retention, persistence, and program completion.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides student support services to all graduate, online, and adult students and serves as their primary Academic Advisor in over 14+ programs in the College of Business and Economics, College of Arts and Science, and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Provides academic advising appointments at main campus and at the centers through various opportunities:
- Phone Appointments
- Face to face appointments
- Virtual Appointments utilizing Zoom or Virtual Office through Blackboard Learn
- Email Communication
- Assists and registers all graduate, online, and adult students for courses and continues to monitor academic progress until graduation or program completion.
- Communicates various important dates and deadlines to ensure all graduate, online, and adult students are aware of the crucial program specific information.
- Responds to all student concerns, assists with problem solving, and provides additional assistance with the Learning Management System (Blackboard), WebAdvisor, University Email, SOAR Network, and Self-Service Student Planning.
- Works in conjunction with campus constituents including, but not limited to: the Office of Accessibility Services, Career Services and the Undergraduate/ Graduate Writing Center, Financial Aid, Registrar's Office, Enrollment Services, Veteran Services, and Student Accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred in Higher Education, Counseling, Adult Education or related field.
- One (1) year experience in higher education, preferably in student support, retention, business services, admissions, or adult learning support role.
- Knowledge of current effective practices in the operation and delivery of adult and online programs.
- Experience with advising learners in adult, online and graduate programs.
- Experience with CRM, SIS systems and data entry systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within an academic community.
- Some overnight and day travel may be required.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hiring for this position is contingent on the availability of funding and/or available budget dollars.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.