Application and Verification Specialist - Correctional Education Program
Established in 1964 at the Ohio State Reformatory, Ashland University offers the longest continuously operating postsecondary correctional education program in the United States. Over 50 years later, AU now provides college curriculum to over 2,000 incarcerated students in more than 50 facilities nationwide. Operating under the institutional philosophy of Accent on the Individual, emphasis has been placed on the development and delivery of courses through secure technology which allow individuals to work towards an educational degree while incarcerated. The duties and responsibilities of this position will be fulfilled at Ashland University in Ashland, OH, through electronic correspondence with site directors at correctional facilities across the country. Travel to prison facilities or direct contact with incarcerated students is not required for this position.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Application Processing, the Application and Verification Specialist performs a variety of activities involving the preparation, dissemination, review, and submission of financial aid information to the Correctional Education Site Director and the student to assist the student through the FAFSA application and eligibility process.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes financial aid pre-screening activities to identify issues with preliminary financial aid eligibility.
- Receives a high volume of incoming paper FAFSA applications. Reviews for completeness, secures additional information from Site Directors, and submits the completed application in accordance with established Federal Student Aid guidelines.
- Receives ISIR information and collaborates with Site Directors and students to resolve financial aid eligibility issues including but not limited to SARC codes, conflicting information, and FAFSA verification in accordance with established Federal Student Aid guidelines.
- Creates, maintains, and presents educational financial aid materials to Site Directors in person, or by webinar.
- Creates and maintains student financial aid records in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Provides professional, accurate, and clear information and communication to Site Directors regarding the student's application status.
- Assists with data entry activities into multiple software systems.
- Assists financial aid counselors to resolve advanced financial aid eligibility issues.
- Completes other tasks as requested by the Assistant Director of Application Processing, or the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid.
- High School Diploma is required. Associates Degree from an accredited college, technical school, or university preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in an office environment or clerical position.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and research abilities regarding federal and state rules and regulations preferred.
- Working knowledge of current tax forms and regulations is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Effective organization and planning.
- Skill in conducting research.
- Ability to communicate effectively through different forms of media.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks with increasing independence and an understanding of priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a significant caseload.
- Ability to adhere to data confidentially regulations and adhere to data security policies.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.