Assistant Professor of Literacy - Dwight Schar College of Education
Ashland University seeks applicants for a full-time, tenure track position in Literacy Education in the Dwight Schar College of Education beginning the 2019-2020 academic year. This position includes teaching in the undergraduate and graduate literacy programs. Every undergraduate license program includes literacy courses, and therefore there is a variety of literacy courses that may be considered with this position. This position also includes academic advising of undergraduate students, scholarly productivity in the field of literacy or teacher preparation, collaboration with adjuncts, participation in data collection for accreditation purposes, and service to the School, University, and community.
Ashland University offers coursework that leads to the Ohio K-12 Reading Endorsement at the graduate level. The graduate program, also offers a M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction: Reading and Literacy. Literacy and Reading graduate courses are offered on the main campus in Ashland, as well as at additional campus sites. Courses are offered as face-to-face classes, hybrid courses combining on-line and classroom teaching, as well as in an online format. Candidates who evidence strong technology integration skills and the ability to teach effectively in an on-line environment are preferred.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the mission of Ashland University and the College of Education.
- Support Ashland University's philosophy of Accent on the Individual.
- Teach face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses within the College of Education.
- Contribute to the field through scholarship.
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Support adjunct faculty in the area of literacy.
- Support data collection for College of Education accreditation.
- Support continuous improvement within the College of Education.
- Provide service to the department, college and university.
- Experience teaching in a variety of instructional formats (face-to-face, hybrid, and on line).
- Teaching could be on additional campus sites, as well as on main campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Earned doctorate in literacy or closely related field completed by August 2019
- Five (5) years of experience working with P-12 students preferred.
- Professional teaching license/certificate.
- Experience teaching college-level courses, with experience teaching literacy courses preferred.
- Supervisory experience with field or clinical experiences in literacy education in public schools.
- A commitment to diversity.
Please submit a cover letter, current CV, official transcripts, and three (3) letters of reference with full contact information when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.