Biology/Toxicology Laboratory Technician
The Department of Biology/Toxicology at Ashland University is seeking a Laboratory Technician with strong organizational skills, initiative, and experience with plant and animal care, preparation of microbiological media and general laboratory procedures. The Laboratory Technician is responsible for providing support for teaching and research labs, partial supervision of work-study students, maintenance of living stocks and greenhouse plants, organization and maintenance of the laboratories and stockroom, and assistance with other laboratory-related tasks as needed. This position is for 40 hours per week during the 9 month academic year (mid-August to mid-May) and 20 hours per week during the 3 summer months.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Setup and tear down of laboratory component for Biology/Toxicology courses.
- Preparation of solutions and microbiological media.
- Ability to assist with moving of cadavers to and from coolers, with or without assistance of lift.
- Basic knowledge of anatomical models for anatomy lab prep.
- Daily care of animals (rodents, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates).
- Care for plants in laboratory and greenhouse (watering, fertilizing, potting).
- Assistance with departmental safety and cleanliness.
- Assistance with management of inventory of supplies and chemicals.
- Occasional driving for course field trips.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Toxicology, or a related area.
- Must have worked for one (1) year in a biology/chemistry lab. Undergraduate laboratory research experience is also acceptable.
- Must have the ability to work with all facets of animal care.
- Strong management, organizational, and supervisory skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and the motivation to learn new techniques.
- Ability to make solutions and media using aseptic technique when appropriate.
- Experience with maintaining plant collections.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver's license with clean driving record.
A complete job description is on file with Human Resources.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.