Career Specialist - Career Services Center
The Career Specialist assists the Executive Director of the Career Services Center in the enhancement of incorporating employer recruitment and industry into a model that embraces curriculum and outreach to faculty and student groups campus wide that at its core consideration of the client's life calling. This position focuses primary in four functional areas: full-time employment, experiential learning, graduate and professional school preparation, and career education. The Career Specialist is responsible for leading the strategy to assist the executive director to market and establish partnerships with employers and graduate/professional schools to have students employed or entering graduate/professional schools at time of graduation. This person will manage daily student program operations (i.e . workshops, advising appointments, walk-in hours, college liaison, etc.), develop program policy/procedure with the executive director, conduct program assessment and evaluation, fiscal administration, and participate in the strategic planning process. This is a 12 month position reporting to the Executive Director of Career Services.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the implementation of career development and management's comprehensive program for students from freshman through senior year.
- Directs employer recruitment and planning with companies by developing industry focused programming, workshops, employer networking events and fairs.
- Assists the executive director with the management of the department and implementing department, Student Affairs, and University mission, as well as formulating, implementing and evaluating departmental strategic initiatives.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates undergraduate and graduate student staff working in his/her functional areas.
- Integrates technology into daily operations, programs, and presentations.
- Prepares written communications, reports, and multi-media materials for distribution to constituents and stakeholders.
- Assists in developing, planning and executing of the department's budget. Assists with grant writing, developing and administering budgets for student events and programming.
- Leads the integration of programming (i.e. employer panels, speakers, etc.) that connects students with employers. Provides assistance in leading departmental functions formulating programs, policy and action plans for initiatives including Third & Fourth Year Experiences, Experiential Education Programs, and web based seminars and presentations.
- Provides individualized and group career advising/counseling and coaching to students regarding career planning, goals, options and opportunities, as well as job search strategies.
- Attends, presents, and represents Ashland University at career related professional events and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree (or equivalency) in Business, Engineering, Social Work, Communications, Student Affairs, Education, or related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in higher education and/or university career services office, corporate, or equivalency.
- Ability to design some progressive employer recruitment initiatives.
- Knowledge or desire to quickly learn career assessment, student development and theory and essential tools, such as the Strong Interest Inventory, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Self-Directed Search, or SIGI Plus; online career guidance systems.
- Ability to work with a diverse population.
- Must be able to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience in the creation, distribution, and analysis of surveys needed.
- Experience in providing career advising/counseling and coaching in a higher education setting a plus. Ideal candidate will have a coaching certification.
- Able to work evenings, weekends and non-traditional times when necessary.
A complete position description is on file with Human Resources.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.