Career Specialist - Career Services Center
The Career Specialist serves to assist students and alumni in the career development and planning process in addition to developing opportunities for graduates by supporting employers with recruiting needs. To meet the growing needs of students, the Career Specialist trains all student employees on resume writing and job searching while providing mentoring and supervision. In addition, this position is responsible for Career Services assessment projects as assigned and supporting the efforts of campus wide assessment needs. Administrative tasks include marketing, publications, placement survey, outreach preparation, customer relationship management system, career fair preparation, etc. This is a 12 month position reporting to the Executive Director of Career Services.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as liaison to the colleges and departments to offer career assistance and presentations.
- Administers and interprets assessments using tools such as Eagle Exploration (Focus2), etc.
- Guides students in ways that help them to secure the best jobs/internships and/or admittance to graduate schools. Advises students/alumni individually and in group settings on topics such as: exploring majors/career interests, understanding intersection of identity and career, developing a professional presence, understanding the nuances of industries/job functions/organizational culture, writing professional documents, and interviewing.
- Contributes to the administration of multiple career services technologies, such as lnterviewStream, CareerShift, AU Career Connect, etc.
- Supports the Executive Director to strengthen and expand relationships with employers, alumni and faculty to coordinate centralized employer recruitment and internship development.
- Organizes on-campus recruiting activities and off-campus site visits, including job postings, campus interviews, and specialized recruiting events appropriate to the field represented.
- Represents Ashland University in coordination of consortiums, such as Ed Expo, OFIC CareerFest, Northeast Ohio Teacher Education Day, etc.
- Works in partnership with the Internship Coordinator to expand internships and other experiential opportunities.
- Supports summer orientation, orientation weekend, and Admissions events.
- Assists with Career Services Center grant writing/outside funding initiatives.
- Contributes to the First Destination Graduate Status Report data collection and produces summary document for distribution.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, Counseling, Business Administration, or related field.
- Minimum of one (1) to three (3) years experience in higher education career development.
- Must have experience in working with students, employers, and faculty from culturally diverse backgrounds and with interests in a variety of industries/job functions.
- Special interest in student development and event planning.
- Ability to use technology required for the role such as social media, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Drive suite, and databases.
- Attentive to details; must possess strong writing and editing capability.
- Able to work evenings, weekends, and non-traditional times when necessary.
A complete position description is on file with Human Resources.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.