Director of Academic Technology - Information Technology
The Director of Academic Technology is responsible for the evaluation, design, development, and deployment of technology in support of teaching, learning, and research. The Director works under the direction of and provides leadership assistance to the Chief Information Technology Officer in overseeing various Academic Technology initiatives. The position requires directly partnering with and supporting faculty, as well as working closely with multiple departments, including but not limited to Information Technology, Center for Innovation and Teaching Excellence (CITE), Correctional Education, Online Education, Library, Curriculum Instruction & Design, and the Educational Technology Committee as well as other IT directorates.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project manages the research, implementation, integration and administration of Educational Technologies: LMS & Applications (Blackboard & Lantern, Kaltura, Respondus, Ally, EesySoft, etc.); network requirements; hardware; accessibility needs and requirements; configures and implements a streamlined, cloud-based future state.
- Provides oversight and management for Mobile Learning (mLearning), mLearning Tablets, Chromebooks (Correctional Education), Video Management, Blackboard, Canvas, and Kaltura administration.
- Maintains and expands knowledge of eLearning trends, innovations, research, and best practices.
- Supervises IT Academic Technology staff and students.
- Develops online instructor and student tutorials, as needed, to facilitate Academic Technology adoption.
- Collaborates with faculty to increase their capacities for effective technology-based teaching and learning.
- Participates in the development and administration of applicable policies, strategic plans, goals and programmatic activities (Correctional, Professional Development, Seminary, AU Online and Classroom) pertaining to classroom, online, and hybrid technology.
- Researches and provides assistance with developing and implementation of assistive technologies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Information Technology Officer.
- Master's Degree in Educational/Instructional Technology or related field required. PhD in Educational/Instructional Technology, Curriculum & Instruction, or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of higher education technology, as a provider of technology support services in a college or university setting.
- Fluency with higher education computing technologies.
- Proven experience and knowledge integrating mLearning and mLearning devices (tablets) in education.
- Supervisory and project management experience in development and administration learning management software, video streaming software and instructional technologies.
- Proficiency administering a LMS (Blackboard and/or Canvas) and Video Management Platforms.
- Prior experience leading multiple complex project initiatives and mentoring junior members.
- Ability to work in and provide support on Mac and Windows Platforms.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to communicate effectively, verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Able to work on multiple projects concurrently and meet hard deadlines.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Office environment with some lifting and hauling of equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Some weekend and evening working hours required as needed.
- Availability via cell phone during normal working hours and after hours is a requirement of this position.
- Valid driver's license is required along with the ability to drive to remote campus locations and attend training as assigned.
A complete position description is on file with Human Resources.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.