Director of Accounts Payable - Business Office
Ashland University's Business Office seeks to fill a full-time Director of Accounts Payable position. Under the supervision of the Controller, this position leads the day to day operations of the department including supervision of staff, vendor relationships, timely processing and payment of invoices and other transactions, maintains effective internal controls and safeguarding of assets in accordance with Ashland University policies as well as compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, documents, and implements policies and procedures that provide effective internal controls and supports efficient and effective purchasing, optimizes electronic payments to vendors, traditional check payments, and P-card operations.
- Develops and supports continuous process improvement for sourcing, procurement and processing payables, assists in managing projects which drive efficiency and productivity throughout the University.
- Ensures payments are properly authorized, accurate and in compliance with University policies and procedures, generally accepted accounting principles, and regulatory requirements.
- Manages the vendor review processes to identify and remedy any fraud, waste, or abuse.
- Performs monthly reconciliations related to accounts payable.
- Performs cash flow analysis and monitoring to maximize investing and ensure sufficient working capital.
- Assists with monthly and year-end closing procedures, entries and reporting, and external and internal audits by preparing work papers and reports.
- Manages the preparation and reporting of IRS Forms 1099-MISC and other regulatory compliance as applicable, including unclaimed property reporting.
- Provides leadership in maintaining quality staff through recruitment and development that creates a positive culture for employee growth and satisfaction and meets the needs of the University.
- Conducts periodic training and instruction opportunities through the utilization of various educational formats/structures to effectively promote awareness of departmental services and improve compliance with established procurement, payable, and disbursement processes.
- Develops metrics and key performance indicators and performs data analysis as required to monitor performance, identify issues, and resolve discrepancies.
- Serves on various University committees and task forces as required.
- Maintains and obtains vehicle licensing records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or its related fields from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years experience Accounts Payable responsibilities is required.
- Knowledge of IRS regulations relating to Accounts Payable.
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in higher education industry is preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and projects; meets deadlines, uses sound judgment, and interprets laws and regulations.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Knowledge of Ellucian Colleague system preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Effective organization and planning.
- Ability to work after hours and weekends as needed.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.