Director of Didactic Education, Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies
Ashland University, in partnership with the national search firm Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Didactic Education (DDE) in the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program in Mansfield, Ohio. The DDE leads the development, implementation, assessment, and oversight of the didactic year curriculum and provides leadership for the didactic principal and instructional faculty, support staff, and students. Reporting to the Program Director of PA Studies/Department of Medical Sciences Chair, the DDE is responsible for ensuring that the didactic phase of the program guarantees the PA students’ readiness to enter the supervised clinical practice experiences, leads students through their didactic educational experience, coordinates didactic principal and instructional faculty, and supports ARC-PA compliance and self-study related to the didactic curriculum.
- Support the mission of Ashland University and Dwight Schar College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Develop and review the mission statement of the PA Program.
- Oversee development and implementation of the didactic curriculum to ensure that the program fulfills the instructional needs during the didactic year and ensure course syllabi maintain compliance with the standards of ARC-PA.
- Administrative oversight of the didactic year including determining the weekly course schedule and maximizing staff effectiveness in supporting faculty and students.
- Coordinate and develop instructional faculty, adjuncts, and guest lecturers.
- Oversee and participate in the ongoing didactic year self-assessment, analysis, and accreditation process for courses, instructional faculty, and program curriculum.
- Assist with the development of tools to assess the effectiveness of the didactic curriculum.
- Implement and monitor the plan for evaluation of student didactic year performance.
- Prepare and maintain didactic year sections of the student handbook.
- Design and execute a didactic year summative exam to assess student performance and readiness to proceed to the clinical year.
- Provide academic instruction and advising to students.
- Provide remedial instruction to didactic year students.
- Support Ashland University’s philosophy of Accent on the Individual.
- Conduct clinical site visits to support the maintenance of supervised clinical practice experiences for students.
- Chair and/or participate as a member of PA program committees as assigned by the PA Program Director.
- Participate in state and national PA organizations as necessary to promote the program and the profession.
- Represent the PA program through service on committees at the university level as required.
- Participate in the admissions process including student recruitment and selection.
- Participate in professional development activities outside of Ashland University’s PA program in areas of clinical practice, scholarly activities, or advancement of educational degree as agreed upon by the Program Director and provide an annual report of such activities to the Program Director.
- Master's degree or higher.
- Current NCCPA certification.
- Minimum of three (3) years of clinical experience as a PA.
- Teaching and/or administrative experience in a PA education program, medical school, or other healthcare-related field.
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to build relationships with clinical partners.
- Active service or leadership at the local, regional, or national level.
Dwight Schar College of Nursing & Health Sciences:
The College of Nursing & Health Sciences educates individuals to become health professionals committed to practice, leadership, and service. The College’s guiding values are integrity, caring, accountability, respect, and excellence. Located in Mansfield, Ohio, the College offers programs in Athletic Training, Dietetics, Exercise Science, Physician Assistant Studies, and Nursing.
Physician Assistant Program:
Ashland University's Physician Assistant program is housed in a state of the art facility, offering our students hands-on simulation and clinical skills training throughout the didactic year of their educational experience. The mission of the PA program is to educate physician assistants based on a foundation of evidence-based medicine, to competently practice patient-centered care, exercise cultural humility, and cultivate a team approach. Graduates will be prepared for the changing landscape of medicine to serve individuals locally, nationally, and globally. Physician assistants will be taught in accordance with the Dwight Schar College Nursing and Health Science’s guiding values: integrity, caring, accountability, respect and excellence (ICARE), interprofessional collaboration and lifelong learning.
Applications and Nominations:
All correspondence relating to the position of Director of Didactic Education, Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies at Ashland University, should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Danan Tsan, Assistant Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
1) A cover letter addressing the required qualifications for this position;
2) A curriculum vitae;
3) The names and contact information of three references;
Applications submitted by May 7, 2021, will receive priority consideration. This search will remain open until the position is filled.
Hiring for this position is contingent on the availability of funding and/or available budget dollars.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.