The Director of LearnAU reports to the Associate Provost but also works closely with the Chief Information Technology Officer in overseeing various eLearning initiatives and educational technology. The Director will provide oversight and management for LearnAU Instructional Designers, Educational Technologists, Video Production, Blackboard, Canvas, & Kaltura administration, and part-time students in support of instructional design, strategies, evaluation, technology integration, and eLearning for course development. This position will also provide instructional design consultation and assistance with the technical and programmatic development of assigned projects, design and develop effective courses, evaluate the effectiveness of course design and aid with planning and coordinating materials with course faculty and instructors and the development team.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and implement strategic and tactical plans involving course development, curriculum flow, instructional design and educational technology integration.
- Project manage the implementation and administration of course design and development; Blackboard, Canvas & Kaltura; and eLearning and continuing education.
- Working collaboratively with faculty and LearnAU staff to design and develop high-quality, face2face, online and hybrid innovative courses to be offered through Ashland University in cooperation with Ashland colleges and departments.
- Maintain and expand knowledge of eLearning trends, innovations, research, and best practices.
- Design online modules and integrate current educational technologies to promote effective teaching strategies and to improve student learning experiences.
- Develop online instructor and student tutorials, as well as face2face and webinar training sessions and workshops.
- As directed, facilitate and coordinate administrative aspects of course development, delivery and support.
- Lead team brainstorming and strategy meetings to help define goals and direction.
- Participates in the development and administration of applicable policies, strategic plans, goals and programmatic activities pertaining to classroom, online and hybrid learning at Ashland.
- Supervise interns and student workers as assigned.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology or related field. PhD in Instructional Design, Educational/Instructional Technology, Curriculum & Instruction, or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning is preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience designing instruction and applying principles of adult learning theories and methodologies to assessment, development, delivery and evaluation and 3-years' experience in course design, training or eLearning.
- Supervisory and project management experience in development and administration of online learning, learning management software and instructional design.
- Prior experience leading multiple complex project initiatives and mentoring junior members.
- Experience in face2face, online or hybrid teaching or workshop facilitation.
- Ability to apply Section 508, universal design for learning, and accessibility standards for online learning environments, as well as familiarity with assistive technologies used with online course design, development and delivery.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency with Adobe CC, MS Office, Google Apps, Camtasia (or other screen capture software).
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to prioritize, schedule and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency administering a LMS (Blackboard and/or Canvas)
- Demonstrated competence in working with Video management platforms.
- Advanced skills in the use of technology applications.
- Able to work on multiple projects concurrently and meet hard deadlines.
- Ability to work in and provide support on Mac and Windows Platforms.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Office environment with some lifting and hauling of equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Some weekend and evening working hours required as needed.
- Availability via cell phone during normal working hours and after hours is a requirement.
- Ability to drive to remote campus locations and attend training.
- Evening hours or weekend work, at times, should be expected.
A complete position description is on file with Human Resources.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.