Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct - Office of Student and Residence Life
The Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct is a full-time, 12-month, professional position reporting directly to the Dean of Students. This position is responsible for the daily administration of the residence life and student conduct programs at Ashland University and is a key member of the Student Affairs leadership team.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the Housing Coordinator/Operations Manager and professional live-in staff (specific to live-in duties and residence hall programming), student interns and student employees.
- Meets regularly with professional live-In staff/Residence Life Coordinators to assist in their management of the residential units, supervision of Resident Assistants and department committee responsibilities including staff selection, recognition, training, and in-service.
- Coordinates the annual recruitment, selection and professional development of Live-In Professionals/Area Coordinators.
- Assesses needed change through Student Senate hall representatives. This includes the assessment of student needs and the evaluation of completed programs.
- Administers, enforces, and interprets policies of the University as it relates to housing, including assisting with Student Conduct meetings/sanctioning.
- Develops annual goals and objectives with Residence Life staff in support of the mission, core values and strategic plan of the University.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of the Residence Life and department's programming budgets.
- Ensures that appropriate health, safety and emergency procedures are followed. Refers students appropriately to the Title IX Coordinator, Counseling and/or Health Services.
- Works with the Dean of Students on capital improvements and renovation needs.
- Facilitates the opening/closing of residential units, including summer break housing.
- Collaborates with the Housing Coordinator in the residence hall, fraternity house, apartment selection and lottery processes utilizing eResLife Housing software.
- Respond to crisis situations with other staff, including evenings and weekends.
- Counsels students on a variety of academic and personal matters. Supports retention efforts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree required in higher education administration, college student personnel or related field.
- At least four (4) years of progressive Residence Life or Student Affairs experience desired.
- Student success focus, knowledge of residence life and housing operations.
- Demonstrated partnership with academic affairs and living learning communities.
- Actively promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and crisis management skills.
- Effective use of organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow through.
- Proven track record of utilizing assessment, data and technology in decision making.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Maintains confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Ability to work as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Computer proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, databases, mail merging, eReslife, Starfish and Colleague by Ellucian is preferred.
- Ability to work evening, weekends and non-traditional times when necessary.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hiring for this position is contingent on the availability of funding and/or available budget dollars.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.