Director of Tennis Operations - Athletics
Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 24-sport athletic program. The University is located off Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
The Director of Tennis Operations will provide oversight for Ashland University's tennis program which includes men's and women's teams. The position will oversee and direct an assistant coach and be responsible for recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, equipment purchasing, practice and match management, tournament management and travel for both teams. This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Athletics.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaches proper technique and skill development in various aspects of tennis. Should have a complete and thorough understanding of the sport and be able to instruct student-athletes in small group and one-on-one settings.
- Instructs student-athletes on physical health, team concepts and team building exercises, team development techniques and safety.
- A thorough understanding of NCAA and GLIAC rules and regulations is required. The director must adhere to these rules and ensure that the program is in compliance with all rules, regulations and guidelines. The ability to articulate these to student-athletes is also required.
- An understanding of Ashland University’s mission and goals is required. Applicants must have the ability to explain these to student-athletes.
- Requires the ability to recruit potential student-athletes. The director is responsible for meeting all Ashland University roster requirements.
- Monitors academic progress of all student-athletes in the program and working with various constituencies across campus to ensure that student-athletes receive the proper academic counseling and assistance.
- Works closely and communicates regularly with a number of other areas in the athletic department including athletic training, academic counseling, athletic communications, fundraising, compliance, and strength and conditioning.
- Provides supervision and direction to the assistant coach.
- May require other assignments as assigned by the athletic director. These could include fundraising, game management, and representing the athletic department at various functions.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Candidates must have the ability to successfully impart tennis knowledge.
- Previous coaching and/or playing experience on the college level is highly desired.
- The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required.
- This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
- The ability to manage a budget is desired.
- The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires extensive travel, both in recruiting and to tournaments and other events.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.