Director of University Writing Center
Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) seeks to hire a 12-month Director of the Writing Center. The Writing Center at Ashland University helps students in all disciplines and at all levels become more mindful, effective, and confident writers. In addition to collaborating with faculty members in all four (4) academic colleges and the Ashland Theological Seminary, the Director of the Writing Center collaborates closely with the Department of English and the Core Director regarding the Composition program. This position also includes teaching responsibilities in the Composition program.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interviews, hires, trains, and supervises undergraduate Writing Assistants and Graduate Writing Consultants.
- Meets and communicates regularly with Writing Assistants.
- Supervises and collaborates with Writing Center administrative assistant and Associate Director.
- Refines Writing Center policies as new needs arise.
- Oversees short and long term planning.
- Conducts outreach to University faculty and campus at large.
- Develops and facilitates writing workshops.
- Maintains pertinent records.
- Develops and maintains assessment tools for tracking the Writing Center's use and efficacy.
- Advanced degree with an emphasis in Composition or related discipline required; Ph.D. or Ed.D. is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching writing across the disciplines.
- Ability to coordinate a writing center, including training and supervising peer tutors.
- Experience in writing center evaluation and assessment.
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with faculty, staff, and students.
- Familiarity with the use of technology in writing intensive classes.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks/projects.
- Professional activities relevant to writing center leadership and administration.
- Excellent organization skills.
In lieu of clicking "Apply Now" below, please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, three (3) letters of recommendation, and writing sample should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.