Esports Assistant Coach
Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 23-sport athletic program. The university is located off of Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
Ashland University is seeking applications for the position of ESports Assistant Coach. The assistant coach will support the Esports Head Coach in overseeing all aspects of the varsity Esports programs. This includes recruitment of players, scheduling and facilitating practices and matches, coaching players and oversight of the Esports facility. Reporting to the Esports Head Coach and to the Director of Athletics, this is a full-time, 12 month position.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as manager and coach for the League of Legends and Overwatch teams. Works with students one-on-one and in small group settings. Should be well-versed and able to instruct students on physical health, team coordination, team development and safety.
- Understands the trends and methods in various Esports titles and is able to advise students on match preparation, post-match analysis and personal improvement.
- Requires the ability to recruit student-athletes. The assistant coach will assist the head coach in meeting all Ashland University roster requirements.
- Assists the head coach in direct oversight of Ashland University's Esports facility. Includes inventory, ordering and maintenance of equipment and supervision of the Esports facility. Assists with promotional functions at the Esports facility which includes tours, seminars and camps.
- Serves as one of the faces of the program. This includes working with the head coach to promote and build the program. The coaching staff will work with groups on and off campus to expand the visibility of Ashland University Esports.
- Assists the head coach in monitoring academic progress of all student-athletes and works with various constituencies across campus to ensure that student-athletes receive the proper academic counseling and assistance.
- Other assignments may be provided by the Athletic Director and the head coach, including fundraising, game management and speaking at public events.
- Bachelor's degree is required.
- Experience coaching or playing at a high level is desired (Diamond, Master, or Challenger in League of Legends, Master, Grandmaster, or Top 500 in Overwatch).
- Must be able to teach/coach League of Legends and/or Overwatch.
- In-depth knowledge of gaming platforms and technology is desired including Twitch, Steam, Blizzard App, XSplit, OBS and computer assembly/maintenance/repair. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive are also desired.
- The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required.
- Thorough knowledge of college Esports league rules and policies, and assures the team is in compliance with all rules, regulations and guidelines. Must be able to articulate these to student-athletes.
- An understanding of Ashland University's mission and goals.
- This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
- The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires travel (some overnight), both in recruiting and attending competitions. Non-traditional work hours will also be required.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.