Evening and Weekend Circulation Assistant
The Evening and Weekend Circulation Assistant is under the supervision of the Head of Circulation and assumes responsibility for the Library when the Reference Librarian is not on duty. This casual employment position entails an average of 16 hours per week (less during breaks and more during exam weeks) during the school year (no summer hours).
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes responsibility for the Library in the absence of the Reference Librarian.
- Supervises student assistants doing circulation and OhioLINK functions.
- Closes the Library.
- Performs the following circulation functions:
- Checking materials in and out
- Placing holds on materials which are checked out
- Interpreting circulation records for patrons
- Timely reshelving of books and periodicals
- Handling telephone inquiries
- Trouble-shooting for printers, copiers, fax machine and computer workstations
- Provides general reference assistance in reference librarian's absence.
- Other duties as assigned, some of which may come from librarians in other areas of the Library, but always approved by the Head of Circulation.
- Associate degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a library or have an associate degree.
- Able to deal comfortably with other people and work independently without supervision.
- Familiarity with computers and data entry.
- Involves standing, sitting, reaching for high and low shelves and pushing heavy bookcarts. Will spend a considerable amount of time in front of a computer screen.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.