Head Coaching Positions - Men's and Women's Golf
Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 23-sport athletic program. The university is located off of Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
The Head Coaching Positions for Men's and Women's Golf will direct all aspects of the programs. The head coach is responsible for coaching and instruction of student-athletes, scheduling, recruiting, monitoring academic progress of student-athletes, monitoring the budget and assisting in raising funds for various projects connected to the program. Golf at Ashland University is a split season sport with the teams playing a fall and a spring schedule.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaches proper technique and skill development in various aspects of golf. Should have a complete and thorough understanding of the sport and be able to instruct student-athletes in small group and one-on-one settings.
- Instructs student-athletes on physical health, team concepts and team building exercises, team development techniques and safety.
- Familiar with instructing student-athletes in the mental game as it pertains to athletics in general and golf in particular. An understanding of nutrition and strength and conditioning concepts is also helpful.
- A thorough understanding of NCAA and GLIAC rules and regulations is required. The head coach must adhere to these rules and ensure that the program is in compliance with all rules, regulations and guidelines. The ability to articulate these to student-athletes is also required.
- An understanding of Ashland University’s mission and goals is required. Applicants must have the ability to explain these to student-athletes.
- Responsible for monitoring the budget of the sport. All plans for travel and equipment purchase also fall under the responsibility of the head coach.
- Requires the ability to recruit potential student-athletes. The head coach is responsible for meeting all Ashland University roster requirements.
- Responsible for monitoring the academic progress of all student-athletes on the team and working with various constituencies across campus to ensure that student-athletes receive the proper academic counseling and assistance.
- The head coach is responsible for practice plans and oversees practices. Accompanies the team to all competitions.
- May require other assignments as assigned by the athletic director. These could include meeting with a golf support group or helping to raise funds to support the program.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Candidates must have the ability to successfully impart golf fundamentals and techniques.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the game and be able to instruct in a number of areas.
- Previous coaching and/or playing experience is highly desired.
- The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required.
- This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
- The ability to manage a budget is desired.
- The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires extensive travel, both in recruiting and to competitions.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.