Payroll Manager - Budget and Finance
The Payroll Manager is responsible for overseeing all payroll operations and maintaining effective payroll processes for the University. This position ensures that there is compliance with University policies and procedures to sustain a best practice department that cultivates an environment and culture of continuous improvement.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees, assists, and backs-up the administration of the University payroll functions.
- Serves as the Kronos Manager by maintaining the Kronos timekeeping software.
- Serves as the Payroll liaison to the University community, especially Human Resources, to ensure policies and processes are adhered to.
- Reviews the Human Resource component of the ERP system and implements any new modules identified for workflow efficiencies.
- Develops, monitors, and maintains policies and procedures relative to day-to-day operations of the Payroll office to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations and policies.
- Works closely with Information Technology to ensure the payroll module is maintained with the current tax regulations.
- Develops, plans, and implements strategies to create efficiencies, executes process improvements, and quality control in the Payroll Office.
- Responsible for special wage calculations, retirement, garnishments, child support, taxable fringe benefits, and all other earnings/deduction information.
- Assists the Budget Director in maintaining information related to position control for the University.
- Works with the staff accountant to prepare for and process W-2s.
- Responds to internal and external requests for employment data such as surveys, worker's compensation audit, and other governmental reporting requirements.
- Monitors the unreconciled payroll checks and reaches out to employees before they are submitted as unclaimed funds.
- Responds to employee inquires and requests regarding payroll matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business from an accredited higher education institution required.
- 3-5 years experience in payroll processing; multi-state and international experience preferred.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of IRS rules and regulations impacting, federal, state, and local levels.
- Experience in higher education industry is preferred.
- Experience with an ERP system, preferably higher education software such as Ellucian Colleague.
- Knowledge of Kronos software is preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to define programs, accurately manage, analyze and interpret data and develop solutions.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Skills (Excel and Word).
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to support effective interaction with various levels of faculty, staff, students and other constituents.
- Strong management and supervisory skills that include hiring, training, evaluating, and developing staff.
- Demonstrated high degree of ethics, integrity, honesty, and respect for confidential information.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, arid the ability to prioritize work and meet critical deadlines.
- Strategic thinker with knowledge of human capital management and the personnel budget process.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.