Professional Academic Advisor
Under the direction and supervision of the Director for Academic Support, the Professional Academic Advisor will provide student- centered proactive advising to undergraduate transfer students as well as sophomore-level licensure majors in the Schar College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CONHS) and the Schar College of Education (COE). The Professional Academic Advisor will assist the students in the development of meaningful educational plans that are compatible with their personal and/or career goals. A major focus will be to create and maintain an interactive environment that encourages mutual trust, open communication, and support in achieving academic success.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages a caseload of sophomore (2nd year) licensure advisees in CONHS and COE.
- Maintains accurate records (including electronic records) of interaction with students.
- Develops advising materials and presentations to support individuals and group student sessions.
- Communicates with students regularly to apprise them of semester dates, deadlines and other relevant university policies and procedures.
- Receives and submits referrals to and from faculty and other University offices for academic issues or personal concerns.
- Utilizes early alerts, mid-semester and end of semester grades to determine interventions for students.
- Serves as a liaison and foster intentional relationships with other advisors, offices, colleges, and departments within CONHS and COE.
- Participates in Admissions and orientation-related events as requested.
- Maintains current knowledge of all licensure programs within the CONHS and COE.
- Develops course schedules for transfer students, sophomores and readmitted students to the CONHS and COE.
- Manages and develops, as well as assists others in, one or more programs and/or projects related to student success, persistence and graduation rates for CONHS and COE.
- Understands the institution's interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty, parents, students, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Higher Education or related field required.
- 2-4 years experience in a higher education setting.
- 3 years current or previous academic advising experience preferred.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication and people skills, strong computer and organizational skills, and must be able to think, plan and execute strategically.
- Candidate must have a customer service orientation and utilize relationship building techniques in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others and in teams.
- Proven ability to work with diverse populations.
- Desire to work in an upbeat, creative and exciting environment that is constantly striving to provide better service and support.
A complete position description is on file with Human Resources.
In lieu of clicking "Apply Now" below, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.