Professional Instructor of Music and Director of Bands
Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) seeks a Professional Instructor of Music and Director of Bands beginning July 30, 2018. This is a full-time, 10 month faculty position responsible for directing the AU concert band and marching band. The position reports to the Chair for the Department of Music.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instructional responsibilities for undergraduate courses including marching, symphonic and pep bands including rehearsals and performances, music selection, drill writing, and tasks typically expected of instructors such as grading, office hours, and syllabus preparation.
- Other teaching assignments as needed to complete faculty load.
- Supervise supplemental staff (twirling advisor, etc.) and work with student leadership.
- Coordinate the active recruitment of students for the Department of Music as music majors, minors and participants.
- Working with other faculty and staff with activities such as visits to schools, mail, phone and electronic contacts with prospects.
- Development of new departmental activities such as workshops, marketing initiatives, open houses, and camps.
- Must develop and maintain a strong working relationship with music educators throughout the area and state, with a focus on the secondary level.
- Responsible for monitoring the band program budgets, travel plans, and equipment inventory, maintenance and purchase, all in conjunction with the Department Chair.
- MM/M.Ed. or higher in Music or Music Education is required.
- Proven success in band conducting, teaching, drill writing, band organization, techniques and community engagement is required.
- An understanding of AU's mission and goals is required. The appointee must have the ability to explain these to students.
In lieu of clicking "Apply Now" below, please submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, list of references, and official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.