Public Relations Coordinator - Marketing and Communications
As part of the Marketing and Communications Department, the Public Relations Coordinator is responsible for leading the public relations efforts of Ashland University. The coordinator is responsible for news media relations and strategies, public relations planning and counseling, social media strategies, and issues and crisis management. The Public Relations office works to protect and enhance the image of the university through media relations that impact the college's stakeholders: potential students and donors, current students, faculty and staff, alumni, trustees, community and business leaders, as well as the media.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works to develop and implement programs of public relations activities that present and develop a positive and favorable image of the University; its functions, philosophies and objectives.
- Proactively pitches stories to the media about campus events and student or faculty achievements, and offers faculty experts to the media on timely topics.
- Monitors ProfNet and HARO, electronic services that distribute journalist's queries for faculty experts on timely issues and works to get University faculty quoted in these publications.
- Collaborates with regional and major media to develop relationships and encourages use of releases and use of faculty experts on timely stories.
- Works with faculty to develop op-ed (short opinion pieces) for newspapers and radio talk shows.
- Manages the social media on campus, and is involved in the day-to-day operation by:
- Writing social media optimized posts that engage target audiences and promote positive social media interaction.
- Moderating social platforms to encourage conversation, remove spam content, respond to reader questions and assist with customer service questions in a real-time fashion.
- Staying up-to-date on social media platform developments and updates that occur often and without notice, such as Facebook algorithm changes as well as functionality updates on Twitter and Instagram.
- Analyzing social media engagement metrics, such as new user growth, fan likes, comments and shares, and reporting these numbers on a regular basis.
- Developing and working with the student social media staff.
- Serves as the primary media spokesperson for the University and, as the crisis management adviser to the President, provides proactive solutions on the best way to respond to crisis situations and to the media.
- Works with departments to coordinate news conferences, building dedications, and many special events on campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, and/or communications is required.
- Three (3) to four (4) years writing experience with a newspaper or public relations/marketing department required.
- Experience with developing and executing social media brand strategies across all platforms.
- Must have a good news sense.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of creating and implementing social media brand reputation management standards.
- Ability to work with and maintain information that may be sensitive or confidential.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Outstanding news and feature writing ability.
- Very strong editing skills.
- Must have a working knowledge of Associated Press stylebook.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.