Safety Services Officer - 2nd & 3rd Shift
The Safety Services Officer position is under the direct supervision of the Director of Safety Services who reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs. Because officers occasionally cover shifts for or provide coverage for dispatchers during breaks, officers are expected to be effective in performing dispatcher duties as well. Officers are cross-trained in this regard and are expected to stay current on dispatching responsibilities.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the mission, goals and objectives of Ashland University and the department.
- Assist the campus community in a constructive, effective and positive manner.
- Maintain departmental confidentiality.
- Cover for dispatcher breaks and shifts as needed
- Immediately assist all officers when called for assistance or during emergencies.
- Lock, unlock and check facilities in a thorough manner.
- Use proper radio codes and language.
- Provide detailed written reports for incidents requiring documentation.
- Notify the police for situations requiring their assistance (i.e. illegal drug activity on campus, incident involving a weapon, etc.).
- Perform basic emergency locksmith related duties for campus (i.e. core changes).
- Maintain departmental equipment (and offices) in a safe, clean and organized manner and any other task(s) as directed by supervisors.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Prefer military, police, EMS and/or security experience.
- Successfully satisfy all standard prescribed pre-employment screening.
- Must have a valid Ohio driver’s license and carry private auto insurance.
- Certified (or ability to become certified) in emergency medical assistance (American Red Cross).
- Possess basic computer skills and writing skills to document incidents (create reports).
- Must be able to function effectively in stressful situations (i.e. situations involving conflict, medical emergencies, fire alarms, crowd control, etc.).
- Must be able to climb at least 10 floors of stairs and still effectively carry out response duties (i.e. medical, fire calls, disturbance, routine service, etc.).
- Must be able to patrol campus on foot.
A complete position description is on file in Human Resources.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.