Senior Accountant - Business Office
The Senior Accountant is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting, including maintenance of accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position must adhere to tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities; including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, grant reporting, preparation of miscellaneous tax filings, year-end audit preparation, and the support of budget and forecast activities. This position will interact with the CFO, Controller, and Business Office team members, as well as other internal and external stakeholders.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Prepares monthly financial reporting and analysis.
- Ensures reconciliation and discrepancy resolution of assigned statement of financial position and activities accounts are completed in a timely manner.
- Assists Controller in maintaining restricted accounts monthly activity and ensuring such use of funds is in accordance with donor restrictions.
- Assists the CFO and Controller with the distribution to management and the Board of Trustees.
- Maintains the integrity of the general ledger including the preparation, verification, and input of journal entries.
- Assists and responds to campus personnel as needed regarding financial policies, internal controls, procedures, account/funding use, budgets, reports, etc.
- Determines and prepares drawdowns for reimbursement of federal financial aid and other federal and state grants.
- Assists in preparation of various state and federal reporting or tax returns as required.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities as needed.
- Year-end closing responsibilities to assist with the timely year-end audit schedules.
- Other duties and projects may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field from an accredited four-year institution. A CPA and/or MBA is preferred.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of accounting experience.
- Excellent computer skills, specifically advanced Microsoft Excel and/or Microsoft Access skills and Microsoft Word.
- Experience with Ellucian Datatel Colleague or other higher education software system is preferred.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports on a timely basis and meet deadlines for assigned tasks and duties.
- Must be detail oriented with ability to prioritize.
- In-depth understanding of technical, generally accepted accounting principles preferably in higher education or other non-profit accounting.
- Working knowledge of grant accounting including 0MB Circular A21 and A133; Uniform Grant Management Standards a plus.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to support effective interaction with various levels of faculty, staff, students and other constituents.
- Must have strong problem solving and analytical skills and an ethical value to maintain confidentiality.
A complete position description is on file with Human Resources.
For highest consideration, please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.