Technical Director of Theatre - College of Arts and Sciences
Ashland University's College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for a twelve (12) month Technical Director position in the Department of Theatre starting June 2019 (negotiable).
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages day to day scene shop operations, equipment maintenance, engineering, implementation, and installation of scenic, lighting, and sound elements.
- Creates working drawings for department productions from faculty, student, and guest designers.
- Oversees undergraduate student crews and construction for two (2) theatres and department productions.
- Serves as instructor of record for TH150 and coordinates with other faculty/staff on student work assignments.
- Serves as facility manager and maintains production and rehearsal facilities.
- Works with the Coordinator of Performing Arts Publicity and Events to determine needs of and the safe execution of all rentals in the Hugo Young Theatre and Studio Theatre.
- Ensures a safe working environment.
- Hires and supervises student workers and scholarship students in shop and related work.
- Responsible for securing department facilities.
- MFA in Technical Theatre or BA/BFA with appropriate professional experience required.
- Experience with sound, electrics and welding helpful.
- Must possess strong collaborative, instructional, organizational, communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to hire, train and manage work-study students and student crews.
- Commitment to mentoring undergraduate students.
- Able to perform physical lifting and ladder work.
- Regular hands-on shop and backstage work is required.
- Frequent weekend and evening work is required.
In lieu of clicking "Apply Now" below, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) references to Teresa Durbin-Ames at email@example.com. Review of application materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.