Training and Development Specialist - Human Resources
The Training and Development Specialist is responsible for the analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of training and development programs to support Ashland University employees and objectives. This position leverages technology and instructional design concepts to deliver measurable results. The role involves a combination of problem solving, designing, and delivery of learning programs and administrative enhancements for internal customers. The Training and Development Specialist is responsible for the Onboarding, Performance Management, and University Volunteer processes.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for new employee onboarding, including orientation.
- Responsible for on-going training and education of hiring committees and managers to ensure best practices in hiring are implemented. Duties include preparing and updating value-added, high-impact information pieces to be sent to candidates.
- Ensures that employees receive and complete initial and on-going Universityspecific as well as government-mandated training (e.g. Title IX and FERPA).
- Develops and implements training for new supervisors and managers related to management processes.
- Identifies, assesses, and implements employee training across departments.
- Develops assessments and metrics to gauge employee performance and program outcomes; transforms data into meaningful and engaging executive style summaries/presentations.
- Serves as a resource for employees who are on improvement plans to provide additional training to improve skills.
- Serves on, and may chair, an Employee Recognition Committee.
- HR point of contact for ongoing employee climate surveys. Analyzes results and plays a lead role in initiatives to improve overall employee climate and culture. Maintains a system for tracking progress.
- Initially develops and then implements a system for tracking employee retention. Leads and participates in initiatives designed to improve turnover.
- Maintains, updates, and tracks system for employee annual evaluations and goal setting.
- Takes a lead role in Leadership Development education and experiences to be developed in coming years.
- Develops and leads a system for individuals to volunteer at the University.
- Serves as a liaison with department leaders to evaluate and implement accommodations employees may require.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Organization Development, or related field.
- 2 - 3 years experience (preferably in a facilitation and training design or other learning role).
- Previous higher education experience a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Teaching and facilitation skills.
- Ability to determine training objectives.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to design, develop, implement, and evaluate training plans, curricula and methodology.
- Skill in preparing instructional aids and plans.
- Public speaking skills; comfortable moderating discussions either in-person or via web conference.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple competing deadlines.
- Effectively communicates status of projects and demonstrates outcomes via data-driven reports.
- Passion and skill for process improvement.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references when applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.