Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Ashland University seeks a dynamic, vigilant and strategic leader to serve as its next Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This is an outstanding opportunity for a proven financial leader to oversee the fiscal operations of one of the region’s premier comprehensive private institutions. This role requires a seasoned leader in higher education, with the ability to balance the critical fiscal priorities present in today’s higher education environment.
The selected candidate will join a vibrant and forward-thinking institution that places great emphasis on the importance of each individual. The phrase "Accent on the Individual" has been Ashland University’s motto for many years and characterizes well the nature of the campus environment. It means that we believe every one of our students was created for a purpose that only he or she can fulfill, and that our concern for the student extends beyond ensuring a quality education in the classroom and laboratory to include a commitment to provide a stimulating and supportive environment of integrity in every respect.
Ashland University, guided by our Christian heritage, is a comprehensive, private university that provides a transformative learning experience, shaping graduates who work, serve and lead with integrity in their local, national, and global communities. Translating the ideals of this Mission Statement into the realities of everyday life is the responsibility of each Ashland University employee. As a member of the executive leadership team, it is anticipated that the CFO shares the Christian faith that unifies our sense of purpose on campus.
The CFO will figure prominently in the implementation of our Strategic Plan, Ashland Rising 2020. Central to this plan is the creation of fiscal systems and models that ensure the University’s long-term fiscal health. The CFO will report directly to the President of the University and serve as a member of the President's Executive Leadership Team. It is essential for the CFO to develop and foster close and collaborative relationships with constituents across the University.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The CFO will be expected to lead and implement short and long term financial, operational and capital plans. She or he, along with a team of outstanding financial professionals, will have primary responsibility for cash management, debt management, financial planning, operating and capital budgets, accounting services, student accounts and payroll. Serving as an advisor to the Board of Trustees, the CFO will regularly update and work collaboratively with the Board on issues pertaining to the University’s financial health and status. The CFO must be a data-driven decision-maker, providing accurate and timely reports and analysis on a regular basis.
- Graduate degree(s) in business or finance required.
- Evidence of strong organizational, analytical, supervisory and communication skills.
- Exceptional strategic and fiscal planning skills.
- Strong knowledge of financial analysis and reporting.
- Significant experience with auditing and financial system software.
- Proven record of creating and promoting efficiencies and developing innovative strategies to solve challenges.
- Keen knowledge and adherence to higher education, tax and other regulations.
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- A minimum of five years of executive level financial management within a higher learning institution of similar size and complexity.
- Experience integrating financial and strategic planning in a private, higher education environment is a plus.
- Prior experience with Ellucian Colleague software.
In lieu of clicking "Apply Now" below, please send a cover letter, CV or resume and a list of at least three references to Jill Laskey, Employment Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications to be considered until position is filled with preference given to those received prior to October 1, 2017.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.