Vice President for Student Affairs
The Vice President for Student Affairs is the chief student affairs officer responsible for the planning, leadership, and vision of the Student Affairs division. As such, the Vice President for Student Affairs, in collaboration with Academic Affairs and/or other appropriate units, works to strategically align all co-curricular activities overseen by the division to achieve the University's mission.
The Vice President for Student Affairs serves on the President's Executive Leadership Team and various appointed committees, coordinates the efforts of the University's Board of Trustees Student Life Committee, and assumes all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and strategic direction for all student affairs departments including the Health Center, Counseling Services, Career Services, Christian Ministry, Recreation Services, Student Life (Student Activities, Student Leadership, Community Services, Commuter Services, Orientation, Greek Life, and Student Organizations), Diversity and Student Conduct, Residence Life, Mail Center, Campus Wellness, and Safety Services.
- Leads the division in striving to provide Ashland University students with experiences and opportunities focused on their holistic personal growth rooted in the core values of the University.
- Works with Academic Affairs to ensure students develop competencies required for success in vocation and employment, including the specialized knowledge required for individual professions as well as the ability to be a lifelong learner and adapt to change.
- Fosters an environment focused on creating a community of respect for both undergraduate and graduate students that emphasizes global and diversity awareness. Aids in the development of ethical values that will enable students to live their lives in such a way that they will seek justice and behave honorably and fairly to others.
- Incorporates assessment and best practice to create a climate of innovation that best meets student needs. Advocates for services and programs to address those needs.
- Provides oversight of student policies and services including official publications such as the student handbook.
- Works closely with Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management to enhance student learning, retention, and graduation rates.
- Ensures policy and program compliance with accreditation standards, and state and federal regulations that relate to student life.
- Provides leadership in crises and conflict.
- Serves as the University Title IX Co-Coordinator.
- Responsible for oversight of the division budget.
- Co-advises Student Senate.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution, preferably in higher education administration or related field, is required. An earned doctorate degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in student affairs leadership with a career that reflects continual advancement and increased responsibility is required.
- Demonstrates an active commitment to the Christian mission, identity, core values and vision of the university.
- Strong skills in leadership, strategic planning, and budget planning.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage and adapt to change, make challenging decisions, encourage and facilitate conflict resolution, and ensure employee and department accountability.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills, strong interpersonal skills, focus on customer service, and the ability to establish effective working relationships with a wide variety of people.
- Successful experience as a mentor and team leader. Advocates for student learning and student needs.
In lieu of clicking "Apply Now" below, please send a cover letter, CV or resume and a list of at least three references to Jill Laskey, Employment Coordinator at email@example.com. Applications to be considered until position is filled, with preference given to those received prior to May 4, 2018.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.