Our rankings and graduate successes clearly illustrate that Ashland holds dear its commitment to serving the individual student and that an Ashland education is a proven investment in your future. We pride ourselves on providing students with an educational experience that offers internships and global experiences as well as the individual commitment necessary for them to stay competitive in a fast-paced world.
Below is just a sampling of the national recognition that Ashland University has garnered:
- AU Ranked as a Top Ohio College in Washington Monthly Rankings
Ashland University is ranked No. 131 in the country in the National Universities category for Washington Monthly’s 2016 College Guide and Rankings. One of only three Ohio schools in the top 135, Ashland is ranked behind Ohio’s Case Western Reserve University and Ohio State University. Since 2005, the Washington Monthly has released an annual College Guide and rankings, where it rates schools based on what they are doing for the country. The magazine claims its rankings are “an answer to U.S News & World Report, which relies on crude and easily manipulated measures of wealth, exclusivity and prestige to evaluate schools.”
Washington Monthly rates schools based on their contribution to the public good in three broad categories: Social Mobility (recruiting and graduating low-income students), Research (producing cutting-edge scholarship and Ph.Ds), and Service (encouraging students to give something back to their country).
Scores from the Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA) Test in 2012 and 2013 affirm that Ashland University is more successful than nearly all other CLA institutions in transforming students’ lives by significantly boosting critical-thinking, analytic-reasoning, problem-solving and written-communication skills. Last year, Ashland University conducted student learning outcomes assessment testing with the Collegiate Learning Assessment test, one of the premier national assessment mechanisms in the United States. More than 200 Ashland students took the test to measure their foundational critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills and the results have strengthened Ashland's growing academic reputation, according to Interim Provost Dr. Doug Fiore.
“We did very well, in fact, the Ashland University students ranked well above the national average for value added achievement, scoring in the 85th percentile of schools taking the test, which included hundreds of schools across the country,” Fiore said. “This means that freshmen achieved greater gains in critical-thinking, analytic-reasoning, problem-solving and written-communication skills by their senior year at Ashland University than at other CLA-assessed universities enrolling students with similar academic backgrounds.”
The online CLA tests were administered to 100 freshmen in September and October of 2012 and to 100 seniors in February of 2013. The criteria for student selection were randomized by the Office of Institutional Research and the exams were proctored by the University Core director as well as student interns and technological coordinators. "When faculty set high expectations and students are provided with challenging academic curricula, they thrive,” Fiore said. “These scores validate that our primary institutional and academic missions are being met. I personally commend our faculty and academic support services for the excellence in which they conduct their work.”
- Ashland University is once again ranked in the top 200 colleges and universities in the National Universities category of the recently released 2016 college rankings by U.S. News and World Report. The National Universities classification is restricted to universities offering doctoral programs and involved in research.
- For 2016, The Princeton Review has listed Ashland University as one of the Best 380 Colleges and Universities in the nation and as one of the Best Regional Colleges.
In 2014, Ashland University was ranked as a Top Best Value College by Educate To Career's ETC College Rankings Index. Ashland was ranked as the 156th best value college out of 1,222 U.S. colleges.
Ashland University has been recognized as the top private college for teacher education in the state of Ohio by the Online College Database in its newest ranking titled “Top Colleges in Ohio Shaping the Next Generation.” Ashland was the only private college in the Top 10 in this ranking, which honors the post-secondary institutions in the state that graduated the most education and teaching professionals in 2012.
- Ashland University has been ranked by Washington Monthly as one of the “Best Bang for the Buck” colleges for National Universities. Ashland continues to be listed each year as one of the best colleges and universities in the nation in these Washington Monthly rankings.
- Ashland University finished second in the nation in the final 2014-15 Learfield Sports Directors' Cup NCAA Division II all-sports standings, which are based on points awarded for each institution's finish in up to 14 sports -- seven men's and seven women's. A perennial powerhouse in Division II athletics, Ashland has finished in the nation's Top 10 for eight consecutive seasons, in the Top 5 each of the last four years and in the Top 3 in three of the last four years. Ashland is the highest ranked private school in the country..
- Ashland University’s home, Ashland, Ohio, is listed as the eighth most affordable college town in the United States as ranked by Great Value Colleges website. Great Value Colleges ranked the top 50 Great Affordable College Towns in the U.S. and Ashland placed eighth with a cost of living index of 88.5 and an average cost of a one-bedroom apartment at $515.
- Ashland University’s student dining service is recognized as one of the best in the nation as it has captured the first place award 10 times in the standard menu competition of the National Association of College and University Food Services (NACUFS).
- Ashland University is named as one of the top schools in Ohio for the greatest lifetime return on investment by AffordableCollegesOnline.org.
- Ashland University’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) has been recognized for the quality of the student entertainment it offers on campus as it has received the top Programming Organization of the Year award through the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) Mid-America Regional Conference a total of 10 times, including the last three years in a row.
- Ashland University is ranked by Forbes Magazine as one of the top research universities in the country and as the No. 156 ranked college in the Midwest.