Description of the Major:
Communication Studies prepares students for a broad range of careers by providing a strong communication foundation involving speaking, listening, writing, organizational, leadership, and conflict negotiation skills as they apply to a variety of institutional and relational contexts. Students have the opportunity to build their portfolio consisting of research projects, accomplishments, and experiences. The program does require a minor or dual major.
What You Will Experience with a Major in Communication Studies:
- 100% online delivery option available through the College of Online and Adult Studies
- 30 total credit hours allows for flexibility with transfer credit and minor options
- Focus on message creation, analysis, and delivery in face-to-face and mediated contexts
- Emphasis on corporate communication and leadership
- Relational and institutional application of skills
- Foundational health communication information aimed at patients and practitioners
- Enhanced cultural competencies applied to our ever-increasing global world
- Conflict negotiation techniques for both relational and organizational contexts
- Risk and crisis management skills for private, government, and non-profit institutions
- Coursework leading into Masters of Arts in Corporate and Strategic Communication
Additional Opportunities Include:
Internships: While not required, students could complete up to 16 credit hours of Elective Internship credit at the 200, 300, or 400 level, with appropriate arrangements.
Lambda Pi Eta: Student may be eligible for induction into Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Association’s Honor Society. This organization recognizes scholarly excellence in the field of Communication Studies.
When you receive your Bachelors of Arts in Communication Studies, you will be ready to begin a career in:
- Higher Education Administration
- Healthcare Industry
- Social Service/non-profit
- Human Resources
- Sales/Customer service
- City/County/Government Agencies
- Corporate Management and Specialist