The major in music provides a thorough education in music within the context of a liberal arts education. Studies include music performance, history and literature, music theory and aural skills. The curriculum is designed to prepare the student for study at the graduate level.
What You’ll Love About the Music Program:
- Through elective courses, you can focus your study on performance, music theory, or music history depending on your career interests.
- You will study with professors who give extensive individual mentoring and specialized attention.
- Music scholarships are available for Music majors, minors and participants.
- You have the opportunity to play with one or more of the Ashland University bands including the Concert Band, the Wind Ensemble, Ashland Area Community Concert Band, the Jazz Orchestra and the Ashland University Eagle Marching Band.
- You may have the fun of singing with one of the Ashland University choirs including the University Choir, Chamber Singers, Women's Chorus and the Ashland Area Chorus.
- You may have the opportunity to travel internationally with the Music department. Recent trips have included the University Choir performing in Germany, Italy and Austria and the Jazz Orchestra playing in Barcelona, Spain.
- The department has a strong sense of community that is shared by professors and students alike.
- There are five full-time and 17 part-time members of the Music Department faculty, each with their own area of musical expertise.
- Faculty members are excellent mentors to individual students and outstanding classroom teachers. Through performance preparation, travel and concerts, professors and students form a tight-knit community.