Dr. Jayne Waterman
Associate Professor of English
Center for the Humanities of Bixler Hall
- Joined Ashland University faculty in 2006 and specializes in nineteenth-century, twentieth-century and contemporary American literature and culture with an emphasis on modernism
- Teaches courses such as American Literature III: Realism to Modernism; American Literature IV: 1945 to the Present; The American Literary Experience; The Modern Novel; The Modern Drama; the Contemporary American Studies Seminar; Honors course on The Short Story; Great Books; and Composition I & II
- Research is focused on regionalism, particularly in relation to race and gender, culture and place and additional research interests include the cultural capital of Modernism and the Middlebrow
- Sits on the James Thurber House Literary Committee in Columbus and the Middlebrow Research Network, an Arts and Humanities Research Council (U.K.), and executive officer for the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature
- Currently writing a monograph about the literary career of Louis Bromfield, the twentieth-century Ohio author. In 2009, edited and introduced Bromfield's recently reprinted novels Awake and Rehearse: Selected Short Stories by Louis Bromfield and has written the introductions for two of Bromfield's recently reprinted novels The Rains Came (2007) and The Strange Case of Miss Annie Spragg (2006)
- Has done work on Paul Laurence Dunbar - "With Myriad Subtleties': Paul Laurence Dunbar's Construction of Social Identity in The Sport of the Gods," in We Wear the Mask: Paul Laurence Dunbar and the Politics of Representative Reality
- Has published several articles and presented several national and international conference papers on this topic. A current work in progress includes an essay - "From the Midwest, to New York, Paris, and Back: "Placing" the Middlebrow in Louis Bromfield's Texts"
University of Leeds, England, Ph.D.
University of Leeds, England, M.A.
University of East Anglia, B.A.
I work in...
Dr. Thomas Reed presents his annual faculty recital along with...Read more
Under the direction of Elizabeth Procopio, the AU Percussion Ensemble...Read more
by Ken Ludwig Directed by Rachael Endrizzi A play that...Read more
Merose Hwang will discuss the Korean peace process in her...Read more
Religion Department Lecture: Dr. Caryn Reeder (Westmont College), “Women and...Read more