Dr. Scott Garlock
Professor of Music
- Joined Ashland University faculty in 2003 and conducts the Ashland University Jazz Orchestra (which has performed overseas four times) and combos, teaches the low brass studio, music history and music education courses
- Given numerous clinics on the recruitment and retention of low brass students, jazz pedagogy at state and national music conventions
- Served as president for the Ohio Chapter of the International Association of Jazz Educators and the Jazz Education Connection of Ohio (which he co-created) and was a consultant for a recent edition of Jazz Styles and Analysis. Is currently the Managing Director of the Cleveland Jazz Orchestra
- As performer, been featured with Sarah Vaughan, Tony Bennett, Diane Schuur, Carl Fontana, Paquito D’Rivera, Louie Bellson and others in addition to recording over 100 commercials and albums, including the Surprise of Being with Joe Lovano (recorded live at Birdland in NYC).
- Performed in the Knox-Galesburg Symphony, the Quad City Symphony, the Peoria Symphony, the Ashland Symphony Orchestra, Firelands Symphony Orchestra and is the lead trombonist in The Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, The Cleveland Pops Orchestra
- During its more than 40-year tradition, the Ashland University Jazz Orchestra (AUJO) has enjoyed working with many outstanding nationally recognized jazz figures. The orchestra regularly performs works from the entire history of big band music. In a given year, the ensemble may perform swing dances, Dixie-influenced tunes or more avant garde selections. In addition to hosting internationally recognized jazz artisans (including Wycliffe Gordon, The Matt Wilson Quartet, Chip Stephens, Mike Lee, Mike Pagan, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Jane Monheith, Doug Beach, Mark Colby, The Tony Monaco Trio, Pat Harbison and Curtis Hasselbring) in an entertaining and educational event at the Maplerock Jazz Festival in March, the group regularly tours, with four European treks in the last twelve years. AUJO has been featured in recent years headlining at the East Coast Jazz Festival, the Williamstown Jazz Festival , the Villanova Jazz Festival, the University of Louisville Jazz Festival, the University of Missouri-St. Louis Jazz Festival, the Ohio Jazz Summit and the Elmhurst College Jazz Festival
University of Iowa, D.M.A.
University of Akron, M.M. (music performance and music history)
Kent State University, B.S.Ed.