Dr. Stefan Swanson
Visiting Assistant Professor of Music
Center for the Arts
- Previously taught film scoring, composition, theory, and songwriting at New York University, California State University, Rutgers University, and the College of Staten Island (CUNY)
- Film and concert composer who has scored nearly 50 films including Gun Hill Road, and his music has been heard on HBO, Cinemax, NBC, and BET, as well the Sundance, Tribeca, and Cannes film festivals
- Has written over 60 compositions for the concert hall, including commissions from the Harmonium Choral Society, Lakeland College, and JJ Cooper
- Currently finishing up the score to the feature-length documentary Escaping Fed (Roulez Films) about a woman who was raped by a federal officer and her subsequent struggle to have her story heard, and will soon start work on the feature Premature by award-winning director Rashaad Ernesto Green
- Recipient of the Susan and Ford Schumann Award, the Film Music Museum Award, and the Singing City Prize, and has studied with Grawemeyer Award and Charles Ives Living Award winning composer George Tsontakis as well as Pulitzer Prize Runner-Up Charles Fussell
- Scholarly work includes a chapter on John Williams’s score to the film A.I.: Artificial Intelligence in the recently released John Williams: Music for Films, Television, and the Concert Stage, along with two presentations at the Music and the Moving Image Conference in New York City
Rutgers University, Ph.D.
New York University, M.A.
Rowan University, B.Mus.
I work in...
Music at Ashland University
Whether you want to study music as a major or minor, or continue your involvement in music by performing in an excellent ensemble, the Ashland University department of music offers you many opportunities.
Ashland University Department of Theatre presents the annual showcase concert...Read more
The Ashland University Chamber Singers and Women's Chorus present the...Read more