Students seeking admission to the Master of Fine Arts Program must:
- complete an application
- submit official transcripts from all institutions from which a degree was earned
- submit writing sample (10-15 pages of poetry or 20-25 pages of prose)
- fiction and creative nonfiction writing samples may be comprised of several shorter pieces or one longer piece totaling 20-25 double-spaced pages
- writing samples may be uploaded within the online application or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- submit two letters of recommendation
- letters of recommendation should be addressed to Christian Kiefer, Director
- no form is necessary; a simple letter of recommendation is acceptable
- letters may be submitted electronically through the online application or by mail
- submit a $30 application fee
Admission is based on the following:
- completed bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a GPA above 2.75 (conditional acceptance for GPAs 2.25-2.75)
- submission of 10-15 pages of poetry or 20-25 pages of prose deemed by the MFA faculty to be of sufficient quality for admittance to the program
The best way to enter our program is to start with the Summer Residency. Students will be admitted beginning February 1. As long as space is available, new applications will be accepted until the classes are filled or until 4 weeks before the residency.
Exception: students interested in the Residency in Paris must apply by November 1 of the previous calendar year.
Students may enter the program during a Non-Residential Semester as well.
There is a priority deadline of September 15 for students interested in enrolling during the spring non-residential semester. New applications for Spring will be considered through December 1 as long as there is space available in the program. The semester begins in January.
After completing the application, send your official transcripts and other support materials to:
401 College Ave
Ashland OH 44805
Applicants may send support materials as they are ready for submission. If you are completing a hard copy application, you may email your writing sample to email@example.com. References may email letters of recommendation as well or submit them directly through the online application.
Accepted students are required to make a one-time $500 enrollment deposit to secure their place in the program. The deposit is credited toward their tuition.
Questions about the application process should be directed to Angie Kessinger at 419.289.5438.