Write in the City of Light
ENG 502: MFA in Paris
You will embark on a ten-day residency abroad, exploring the beautiful city of Paris through the eyes of a writer. Paris holds one of the greatest collections of cultural resources in the world, and its monuments, museums, parks, cafes, and shops will be our classroom. Students will participate in intensive workshops, discussions, readings, and in the literary and cultural life of the city as we begin to understand why Gertrude Stein said, “America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.”
The tour will include workshops with faculty mentors as well as craft seminars and evening readings with writers living in Paris.
Who May Participate in the Trip?
- Students currently enrolled in the Ashland University MFA Program can participate. The Paris Residency may be used as a substitute for the on-campus ENG 502 summer residency. The Paris Residency is open to students at all levels in the program, however, third-year students who participate in the Paris Residency will also need to attend the on-campus residency.
- Students currently enrolled in the Ashland University MFA Program who have already taken ENG 502 may choose to take the course a second time during the Paris residency.
- Students currently enrolled in other MFA programs are welcome to participate.
- Qualified undergraduate students enrolled in creative writing at Ashland or other accredited universities.
- Ashland University MFA graduates or graduates of other MFA programs.
- Non-degree-seeking writers, pending approval.
Partners or other non-student traveling companions may join the group by paying a partial program fee to cover housing, administration, insurance, and other group fees.
PROGRAM COST: $4,696
$500 Deposit due by February 5, 2019
INCLUDED: Tuition (3 credit hours), housing, ground transportation in Paris, international health insurance, admission to the Louvre and other museums, Paris tour, and orientation.
NOT INCLUDED: Meals ($600-1,000), airfare (approx. $1,200), expenses for passport ($135), trip cancellation and interruption insurance, tips for drivers and guides, baggage fees for domestic flight, and personal expenses.
Deadlines and Payments
February 5 - $500 Non-refundable deposit due**
March 5 - Remaining balance charged to AU account
Student Comments from Past Ashland MFA Paris Residency
"This trip increased my awareness in so many different areas. It's unreal & truly remarkable."
"Wonderful life changing experience in terms of developing my writing and affecting my cultural literacy."
"The best part was just being in Paris, being able to see it. Highlights for me were the D'Orsay and Cluny museums, Shakespeare and Company Bookstore, Notre Dame, the Seine and its islands, the Tuileries garden, cafes and shops, [and] street performers."
How to Apply
- Start an application with the Ashland University Study Abroad Office
- Submit deposit to the Global Education Office - 211 Bixler, 401 College Avenue, Ashland, OH 44805 - prior to the deadline.
- Writers who wish to receive university credit hours for this course must already be enrolled at Ashland University or must apply as a non-degree-seeking student. Alumni need not submit a writing sample or letters of recommendation. The $30 application fee will be waived for those who only wish to attend the residency.
**Exception: If the trip is canceled due to inadequate enrollment, deposits will be refunded.