Take a step into our past, while walking with us toward the future.
Ashland College was chartered in 1878 by the German Baptist Brethren Church. Classes opened at the college in the fall of 1879 with eight members of the faculty and 75 students. David Bailey, M.A., was the first instructor in mathematics.
The first college catalogue lists two four-year degree programs, the Classical and the Philosophical. The mathematics courses offered during the initial years of the college were Geometry (one quarter), Higher Algebra (two quarters), Trigonometry and Surveying (one quarter), Spherical Trigonometry and Navigation (one quarter), General Geometry (one quarter), The Calculus (two quarters), Mechanics (one quarter) and Astronomy (one quarter). All of these courses, except Mechanics and Astronomy, were required for students in both four-year programs.