MASTER THE LANGUAGE OF WORLD DIPLOMACY
Gain an appreciation of the rich beauty of French civilization, culture and literature. You’ll learn to communicate in our state-of-the-art multimedia classrooms before studying abroad in France or Canada, immersing yourself in the culture and language while you earn credit toward your degree.
When you major in French at Ashland University, you get to know your professors well and benefit from mentoring that would only be possible in our small class environment. Using our state-of-the-art language lab facility and multimedia classrooms, you will learn to speak, read, listen and write French well as you also discover the rich beauty of French civilization, culture and literature. To truly appreciate the beauty and wide use of the language, we encourage you to take a semester to study abroad in France or Canada.
PROFESSORS WITH A PASSION FOR THE FRENCH LANGUAGE
- Professors teach all classes and enjoy working closely with students to perfect their language skills through informal round-table chats, extracurricular gatherings focused on French culture and lab study.
- Professors provide a level of mentoring that would not be possible at a crowded state university. Small classes assure that you receive lots of personal attention.
- Professors in the foreign language department include five Ph.D.s, all of whom have studied internationally. This brings an added dimension to the classroom.
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT THE FRENCH PROGRAM:
- You’ll get more than just language skills, you’ll learn about the culture, literature and civilization of France and French-speaking countries.
- Our portfolio assessment approach ensures that you stay on track with your academic and career goals in language development.
- Ashland’s state-of-the-art language lab facilities give you a boost toward success in learning French.
- You’ll enjoy extracurricular activities, such as French Club, that support your language study through a variety of fun social activities.
- Courses are taught in French, so you get a continual reinforcement of your language skills in class.
- You’ll get an opportunity to study abroad in France or Canada and earn credit toward graduation.
INTERESTING CLASSES YOU MAY TAKE:
- Conversational French — Develop conversational fluency beyond the level of basic language classes.
- Introduction to French Literature — Explore the literature and literary movements in France since the Middle Ages.