MASTER THE LANGUAGE SPOKEN BY 350 MILLIONS PEOPLE WORLDWIDE
When you major in Spanish at Ashland University, you get a full immersion in not only the language itself, but also in the rich and colorful culture and history of Spanish-speaking countries.
Best of all, you will have an opportunity to study abroad while earning credit toward graduation.
When you graduate, you will be highly skilled as a speaker, listener, reader and writer of Spanish, who holds a deep appreciation for the language and literature of Spanish-speaking world. During your years at Ashland, you will have an opportunity to study abroad in your choice of exciting locations in Spain, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Argentina, Chile or Mexico, earning credit toward graduation as you literally live the language 24 hours a day.
FACULTY WHO LIVE THE LANGUAGE
- All Spanish professors either hold a Ph.D. or are Ph.D. candidates who undertake research in the field with which students may become involved.
- Professors teach all classes and enjoy working closely with students to perfect their language skills through informal round-table chats, extracurricular gatherings focused on Spanish culture and lab study.
- Professors teach all Spanish classes in Spanish, to enhance your skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing the language.
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT THE SPANISH MAJOR:
- You’ll enjoy a well-rounded program that includes not only mastering grammar, pronunciation and other language basics, but also an appreciation of Spanish culture and literature.
- Professors give you individual attention.
- Ashland’s language lab and classroom facilities are state of the art, which facilitates learning.
- You’ll have multiple options for studying abroad and earning credit toward graduation.
- Our portfolio assessment process assures that you stay on track to achieve your personal and career goals.
- All classes are taught by your professors, not by graduate students or teaching assistants.
INTERESTING CLASSES YOU MAY TAKE:
- Survey of Latin American Literature — Explore the milestones in Latin American literature from its beginnings to the present time.
- Conversational Spanish 1 — Apply grammatical concepts learned in the basic language program and improve your conversational fluency.
- Civilization in Spain — Examine the past and contemporary times through the lenses of history, literature, art and music.