Welcome! At the Dwight Schar College of Education, we are committed to preparing individuals to make a profound difference in the lives of all children, their families, and the communities in which they live. We recognize the vital ties between theory and practice that serve as the foundation for a life-long career of service. We care deeply about our students, and we recognize the awesome responsibility we have to model the kind of reflective practice needed in today’s rapidly changing world. Further, we are committed to nurturing growth so our graduates develop the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to serve children, their families, and their communities.
The faculty and staff of the Dwight Schar College of Education are working diligently to ensure that our students experience the following:
1) A deep understanding of human development and how it relates to teaching, classroom management, and how to communicate with families
2) A strong knowledge base related to all pertinent academic disciplines
3) High quality field experiences through strong partnerships with schools and community agencies
4) A clear understanding of the performance standards expected of service professionals
5) A strong focus on diversity that includes frameworks and strategies to support work within diverse communities
6) Extensive use of technology throughout our programs
7) Meaningful assessments that reflect authentic experiences clearly linked to professional standards
8) A pervasive culture of reflective practice where continuous improvement of programs and individual performance is modeled by all
At the Dwight Schar College of Education, we offer a number of programs to address your needs. If you are seeking an undergraduate degree, exploring ways to earn teacher certification with a related degree, looking for a certificate or graduate program to expand your professional growth, or seeking advanced preparation in leadership, we can support your goals. We offer many of our programs in both Elyria and in Columbus, and we can also support you through on-line programming. Whatever your goals may be, know that our faculty and staff are committed to serving you.
Dr. Donna Breault, Dean of the Dwight Schar College of Education