The M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction degree, with its numerous concentration areas, enables you to study advanced course work that focuses in those areas that are of particular interest to you. See the individual concentrations for specific program content and locations.
Refine your craft!
- Do you want to enhance your current understandings of research, current issues in education, curricula, and areas specific to a given content, like intervention, literacy, or technology?
- Do you want to have the flexibility to develop your own program through the nine hours of electives provided through the TL-21 concentration?
If you answered yes, this is the degree for you. Here is what is on the menu! You pick one of the follow areas:
Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century (TL-21)
Refine your craft! A 30-hour program that allows you to focus your electives in an area of your choosing! TL-21 Degree Plan
- focuses on the improvement of classroom instruction.
- allows you to tailor its nine hours of electives to meet your interests and professional goals.
- includes a balance of theory and practice.
Take your tech to the next level. A 100% online degree leading to the technology facilitator endorsement in your current license and a M.Ed. all rolled into one. Ed Tech Degree Plan
- rated by U.S. News as 123rd in the U.S.A. for online Masters of Education programs.
- coursework includes all classess required to apply for an Ohio Department of Education Computer/Technology Endorsement.
- learn how to support the use of technology in your building or campus.
- learn how to teach your colleagues and others how to use technology within their classrooms.
Literacy and Reading Instruction
Love literacy? Take advanced course work in literacy, reading and intervention. Lit. & Reading Degree Plan
- increase your knowledge about all aspects of language and the processes of reading and writing.
- learn more about selecting and using age-appropriate literature to teach reading and writing and to help students use literature to make connections to content areas by taking a literature course tailored the age level you teach.
- be able to purposefully use a variety of instructional strategies and assessment tools by taking both age-specific methods courses and K-12 courses that connect theory and practice.
- engage in a self-selected capstone experience that guides in-depth, independent inquiry into a current issue in literacy education and encourages you to apply new ideas to improve your students’ learning.
Intervention Specialist – Mild-Moderate Needs
Really teach the ALL! Hours in this program can lead to an Intervention Specialist Mild-Moderate license. ISMM Degree Plan
- be part of a growth area. The number of special education teachers is expected to increase by 17 percent from 2008 to 2018, which is faster than the average for all occupations. (US Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition)
- earn a degree that focuses on the most effective methods and strategies to work with students with disabilities and their families in Ohio K-12 schools.
- learn to effectively collaborate and communicate with all stakeholders of students with disabilities in Ohio K-12 schools.
Talent Development Education
Feeling like going gifted? A degree program with an embedded Gifted Intervention Specialist Endorsement. Talent Dev. Education
- learn to develop, teach, and supervise curricula and services for students identified as Talented or Gifted in Ohio K-12 schools.
- adds the Gifted Intervention Specialist endorsement to your current license(s)
- learn to understand the needs, current issues and effective methods for providing services for students identified as Talented or Gifted in Ohio K-12 schools.