You are here
Ashland University Esports Fast Facts
- Offering annual Esports scholarships up to $4,000. Additionally, students may qualify for Ashland University academic aid and federal and state aid by filing the FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
- Players compete in Fortnite, League of Legends, Overwatch, Hearthstone, CS:GO, Starcraft 2 and Rocket League.
- Esports competes in the National Association of Collegiate Esports, University League of Legends, Collegiate Starleague, TESPA, AVGL, as well as Professional & Semi-Professional leagues.
- Players will receive a backpack, jersey, jacket, gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming mousepad, and gaming headset.
- Players will practice in a state-of-the-art gaming center featuring 25 high-end gaming PCs and gaming chairs. The center will also feature two 65” high-definition televisions for coaching and entertainment purposes.
- Players will be mentored by our coaches to be successful in the game and in their academic studies.
- Featuring seminars from guest speakers including professional players and industry leaders.
About Ashland University
Ashland University is a private, comprehensive institution preparing students for exciting professions and careers. The University consists of four academic colleges -- College of Arts & Sciences, Dauch College of Business & Economics, Schar College of Education and Schar College of Nursing and Health Sciences -- as well as the Graduate, Online and Adult Studies; the Founders School for Continuing Education; and Ashland Theological Seminary.
Ashland University places great emphasis on the importance of each individual. The phrase “Accent on the Individual” has been our motto for many years and characterizes well the nature and content of the campus environment. It means that our concern for the student extends beyond ensuring a quality education in the classroom and laboratory to include a commitment to provide a stimulating and supportive environment in every respect. Translating the ideas of the Mission Statement into the realities of everyday life is the responsibility of each Ashland University employee. These ideas must be evidenced daily in the classroom, residence halls, each teaching site, on the playing fields and in our interaction with others.
"The development of the E-Sport team has me really excited because it allows me the chance to turn my hobby into something more. It also excites me to see how Ashland is expanding into this new and upcoming field and adding to their already tremendous athletic program!" - Chase Gross
Esports Team Recruitment Survey
Joshua Buchanan, Head Esports Coach Biography
Buchanan is the first esports coach at Ashland University. He comes to Ashland from Bloomsburg (Pa.) University where he recently graduated with an undergraduate degree in economics and philosophy. He currently serves as a player-manager for Sloth E-Sports Club LLC, a top 3 North American Starcraft 2 team. Buchanan manages various aspects of the team, including mentoring players, event schedules, arranging transportation and lodging and assisting with player benefit administration, including travel and tournament entry fee compensation. He is also charged with player scouting and recruitment and regularly consults with team leadership in planning short-term and long-term organizational objectives. As a player, Buchanan ranked 25th in the United States in Starcraft 2 and has over five years of competitive experience. He also serves as a Starcraft 2 commentator for competitive events like Cheeseadelphia and Stream.Me Arena and works as a Starcraft 2 freelance coach. Buchanan also has experience in other game titles, such as Super Smash Bros. Melee, League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone.