Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA)
On January 17, 2021, Ashland University was awarded $1,993,958 from the Federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) to help relieve the financial impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic on our students.
Ashland University is committed to students' academic success, health, and wellbeing during these difficult and uncertain times. Ashland University’s goal is to help as many eligible students as possible under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA),referred to as the AU Cares For You II grant. Grants will be automatically awarded to students with demonstrated, exceptional, financial need based on the information presented on the students' 2020-21 or 2021-22 (FAFSA) or Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The AU Cares For You II grant is a one-time Spring 2021 award, and students who receive this grant will not be able to request additional AU Cares For You II grants.
As of June 30, 2021, the University awarded and disbursed $ 2,146,500 to 2,581 eligible students.
How AU Cares For You II Funds Are Being Awarded?
How are they being awarded?
Awards will range from $500 to $1,000 and be determined by the student’s EFC. Students presenting exceptional need will receive the highest award. If the student completes both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 FAFSA. The lowest EFC will be used to make an award determination. Awards are determined as presented in the chart below. Application for consideration is not required for those initially meeting all eligibility requirements.
|EFC Range||Award Amount|
|30,001 and above||$500|
Students Who Qualify for Automatic Disbursement
Eligible students will receive an automatic disbursement unless consent is given by the student to apply the grant directly to the student’s current AU account balance. Please see the Frequently Asked Quesitons (FAQ) section for more information regarding eligibility.
- Students will receive notification through their AU email of their automatic disbursement on April 5, 2021.
- Awards can be viewed in your student account in Self-Service (will need to be logged in with AU username and password).
- Students who receive an award notification, and have an outstanding balance on their AU student account, have until April 9, 2021 to indicate if they want the funds issued or give consent to apply the funds to their student account balance.
- Students who did not consent by the April 9, 2021 deadline, will automatically have a direct deposit to their identified bank account if they have set up direct deposit (will need to be logged in with AU username and password) within Self-Service or a paper check will be issued.
- We highly encourage students to set up direct deposit (will need to be logged in with AU username and password) under Banking Information in Self-Service.
- Deposits will be made on April 15, 2021 (please allow 3-5 business days to receive) or paper checks will be mailed (please allow 5-7 business days to receive).
Students Who Do Not Qualify for Automatic Disbursement
Students who do not receive an AU Cares For You II grant automatically, can submit an Application for Reconsideration.
This application is for students who will not receive emergency grant funds automatically on April 15, 2021. Please check your AU email or student account for award notification on April 5, 2021, prior to completing this reconsideration application.
To apply for reconsideration the student must:
- Currently be enrolled in the Spring 2021 for one or more credit hours
- Have a 2020-2021 or 2021-22 FAFSA on file with the Student Financial Aid Office.
The application will close on April 30, 2021 or when grant funds are exhausted.
If a student's application is denied, an email will be sent to the student's AU email within 2 to 3 weeks.
AU highly encourages students to set up direct deposit (will need to be logged in with AU username and password) under Banking Information in Self-Service.
Students with an Outstanding Balance on their AU Student Account
Students who receive a grant automatically and have an outstanding balance on their AU student account have the option to fill out a consent form to indicate how they want their funds issued.
Option 1: I consent Ashland University to apply the AU Cares For You II grant to eligible charges owed on my student account first, then refund any surplus funds to me.
Option 2: I do not consent Ashland University to apply the AU Cares For You II grant funds to eligible charges owed on my student account. Please release the full amount of the grant directly to me.
The consent form needs to be completed by April 9,2021. Students who missed the deadline will receive direct payment as described above under Automatic Disbursements.
Spending your AU Cares For You II funds
AU Cares For You II grants are offered to help students who are facing unexpected financial challenges related to COVID-19. These grants are disbursed directly to the student via direct deposit or paper check and can be used for any component of their cost of attendance or for emergency costs that have arisen due to coronavirus, such as tuition, food, housing, health care (including mental health care) or child care. The AU Cares For You II grant is not taxable income, is not required to be repaid and is meant to directly assist students during this crisis.
American Rescue Plan (ARP)
On March 11, 2011, American Rescue Plan (ARP), Public Law 117-2 was signed into law, authorizing the Higher Education Relief Fund III to provide $39.6 billion in support intuitions of higher education to serve students and ensure learning outcomes during the COVID-19 Pandemic. The University has received notice of funding and is finalizing its determination of use of such awards.