Masters in Educational Technology
Ashland University’s Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction: Educational Technology program explores the role that established and emerging technologies can play in improving education and prepares teachers to serve as building or campus-level technology facilitators.
AU’s program is designed to help transform education through the power of technology. New innovations in technology are on the rise, and AU’s goal is to share these new technologies with teachers in an effort to help improve student learning.
AU classes in this program focus on the design, development and implementation of effective instruction for a variety of audiences and settings, including K-12 schools and higher education as well as professional development in business, industry and government.
Is the Educational Technology Program Right for You?
- You have a passion for teaching and sharing knowledge.
- You want to earn both an advanced degree and the Technology Director Endorsement that model best practices in technology delivery.
- You support the use of educational technology in your building or campus.
- You aspire to teach your colleagues and others how to use technology within their classrooms.
About Our Educational Technology Program
Ashland University’s program is aimed to help our students refine and re-shape their perspective on technology as it relates to their future careers, society, teaching, learning and training. Students will have the opportunity to improve their awareness of technology concepts as well as to provide experiences that facilitate critical thinking.
Students in Ashland’s program receive a thorough grounding in instructional design, learning theory and innovative educational practices supported by technology. Students will have the opportunity to learn how they can integrate technology into their existing curriculum in a variety of ways.
In addition, students will be given the opportunity to learn about the benefits of creating and utilizing technologically enhanced content, such as e-portfolios, online quizzes, online research, and other useful tools.
Candidates completing this 30-hour degree will:
- Exhibit knowledge, skills and dispositions equipping them to teach technology applications
- Demonstrating effective use of technology to support student learning of content
- Provide professional development, mentoring and basic technical assistance for other teachers.
Upon successful completion of the professional courses, candidates may apply for an Ohio Department of Education Computer/Technology Endorsement.
What courses are in this program?
The Educational Technology M.Ed. program is designed to be flexible enough to meet the needs of diverse students, including those who work full time. It requires 30 hours of coursework, and may be completed entirely online. Courses in this program include:
- Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century Classroom
- Telecommunications & Networking for Educators
- Instructional Design
- Issues & Concerns Related to Educational Technology
- Methods for Integrating Technology
- Organization & Management of Educational Technology
View the course curriculum for the Master of Education Curriculum & Instruction: Educational Technology.
Graduates of Ashland’s M.Ed. program are employed in a variety of fields, including:
- in K-12 schools as technology administrators, professional development specialists and classroom teachers
- in industry and higher education as instructional designers, evaluators and managers
- in small businesses as designers and developers of training programs, educational websites, videos, and games; and in a wide variety of other positions and settings.
Ashland’s students come from a variety of backgrounds: in-service teachers; trainers from industry, health care, and the military; and graduates of different subject areas who decide they want to apply their skills and expertise within an educational or instructional context.