Serving the Ashland area community, along with the university community, we offer Learn-to-Swim classes, as well as private and semi-private lessons.
Learn-to-Swim for Children
Ashland University’s Learn-to-Swim program helps participants gain confidence in the water and learn proper swimming techniques. Children will be supervised by our trained swim instructors and lifeguards, so swimmers of all ages and abilities are in safe hands.
The prerequisite for each level is the successful demonstration of skills from the preceding level, except for Water Babies and Preschool, which have no prerequisites. Each level of Learn-to-Swim includes training in basic water safety and helping others in an emergency in addition to the skills outlined below. Keep in mind that due to the nature of a group lesson, the time your child spends in the water is relative to the total number of children enrolled. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at 419.289.5440 or Recservices@ashland.edu.
Learn-to Swim dates and times are to be avaiable soon.
Class Minimum: 3
Class Maximum: 4 per instructor (additional instructors can be added based on availability)
Classes may be cancelled if minimum enrollment is not reached.
Classes exceeding four participants will have two instructors.
Ages 6 months-3 years
Purpose: This class helps children develop a comfort level in and around the water and prepares them to swim. Instructors will teach the parent/guardian how to assist the child in the water and reinforce the role of the adult in the child's learning of skills. This course does not teach children to be accomplished swimmers.
Note: An adult must accompany each child in the water. Swim diapers are required for children not toilet-trained.
Ages 3-6 years
Purpose: The goal of this class is to acclimate the children to the water though safety skills and beginning swimming skills. Entering and exiting the pool safely, bobs to build comfort in submerging ones mouth and nose, and floats are examples of learned in this course. Instructors have a very hands-on approach for these little ones and typically mainatin a lot of contact with the children while performing the skills. Note: Swim diapers are required for children not toilet-trained.
Introduction to Water Skills
Purpose: Helps students feel comfortable in the water.
Level I participants learn how to:
- enter and exit water safely
- submerge mouth, nose and eyes
- exhale underwater through mouth and nose
- open eyes underwater
- pick up submerged objects
- change direction while walking or paddling
- roll over from front to back and back to front with support
- explore floating on front and back with support
- explore swimming on front and back using arm and leg actions with support
Fundamental Aquatic Skills
Purpose: Enhances students’ success with fundamental skills.
Level II participants learn how to:
- enter water by stepping up or jumping from the side
- exit water safely using ladder or side
- submerge entire head
- blow bubbles submerging head in rhythmic pattern (bobbing)
- open eyes under water
- pick up a submerged object in shallow water
- float on front and back
- perform front and back glide
- change direction of travel paddling on front or back
- roll over from front to back/back to front
- tread water using arm and leg motions (chest-deep water)
- swim on front, back and side using combined arm and leg actions
Adults interested in learning how to swim should sign up for private swim lessons
Examples of what will be learned:
- how to become more comfortable in the water
- flutter kicking (while floating on their stomach and back)
- breathing coordination
- arm movement
- front crawl
- back crawl
- elementary backstroke
- breast stroke
Private and semi-private swimming lessons are offered for individuals at any skill level. Private lessons provide one-on-one instruction. Semi-private lessons are available for a maximum of three people at similar skill levels. Any individual who wishes to schedule semi-private lessons must have at least two people for the lessons at the time of registration. All lessons are 30 minutes in length. Call the Rec Services office at 419.289.5440 for additional information or to schedule lessons. All prices listed are per-person.
Semi Private, 3 Lessons: $35 Member/$50 Non-Member
Semi Private, 7 Lessons: $70 Member/$100 Non-Member
Private, 3 Lessons: $45 Member/ $70 Non-Member
Private, 7 Lessons: $85 Member/$130 Non-Member