We offer Learn-to-Swim classes, as well as private and semi-private lessons.
Learn-to-Swim for Children
Ashland University’s Learn-to-Swim program helps participants gain confidence in the water and learn proper swimming techniques. Children will be supervised by our certified water safety instructors, so swimmers of all ages and abilities are in safe hands.
The prerequisite for each level is the successful demonstration of skills from the preceding level, except for Water Babies, which has no prerequisite. Each level of Learn-to-Swim includes training in basic water safety and helping others in an emergency in addition to the skills outlined below. Keep in mind that due to the nature of a group lesson, the time your child spends in the water is relative to the total number of children enrolled. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at 419.289.5440 or Recservices@ashland.edu.
Summer 2014 Session Dates
Monday - Thursday
June 9 - June 19
10-10:30am: Water babies
11-11:45am: Level 1
11:45am-12:30pm: Level 2
4 - 4:30 p.m. Water babies
5:45- 6:30 p.m. Level 2
* All summer lessons run Monday through Thursday at the specified times.
Class Minimum: 3
Class Maximum: 12
Classes may be cancelled if minimum enrollment is not reached.
Classes exceeding six participants will have two instructors.
Ages 6 months-3 years
Purpose: This class helps children develop a comfort level in and around the water and prepares them to swim. Instructors will teach the parent/guardian how to assist the child in the water and reinforce the role of the adult in the child's learning of skills. This course does not teach children to be accomplished swimmers.
Note: An adult must accompany each child in the water. Swim diapers are required for children not toilet-trained.
Ages 3-4 years
Purpose: This class works on the development of the participant's swimming skills through play and incidental learning to encourage fun and enjoyment in the water. This class provides opportunities for water adjustment and swimming readiness. Note: Swim diapers are required for children not toilet-trained.
Introduction to Water Skills
Purpose: Helps students feel comfortable in the water.
Level I participants learn how to:
- enter and exit water safely
- submerge mouth, nose and eyes
- exhale underwater through mouth and nose
- open eyes underwater
- pick up submerged objects
- change direction while walking or paddling
- roll over from front to back and back to front with support
- explore floating on front and back with support
- explore swimming on front and back using arm and leg actions with support
- use a life jacket
Fundamental Aquatic Skills
Purpose: Enhances students’ success with fundamental skills.
Level II participants learn how to:
- enter water by stepping up or jumping from the side
- exit water safely using ladder or side
- submerge entire head
- blow bubbles submerging head in rhythmic pattern (bobbing)
- open eyes under water
- pick up a submerged object in shallow water
- float on front and back
- perform front and back glide
- change direction of travel paddling on front or back
- roll over from front to back/back to front
- tread water using arm and leg motions (chest-deep water)
- swim on front, back and side using combined arm and leg actions
- move in the water while wearing a life jacket
Adult Swim Program
Purpose: This class is for swimmers who do not have any experience in the water. The goal is for participants to overcome any fear of the water and teach them basic swimming skills.
Adult Beginner participants learn:
- how to become more comfortable in the water
- flutter kicking (while floating on their stomach and back)
- breathing coordination
- arm movement
Purpose: This class is for swimmers who are comfortable in the water but want to improve or refine their swimming strokes. The goal of this course is to refine their stroke techniques, build their endurance and help them adjust to deep water.
Adult Intermediate participants will learn how to coordinate the:
- front crawl
- back crawl
- elementary backstroke
- breast stroke
Private and semi-private swimming lessons are offered for individuals at any skill level. Private lessons provide one-on-one instruction. Semi-private lessons are available for a maximum of three people at similar skill levels. Any individual who wishes to schedule semi-private lessons must have at least two people for the lessons at the time of registration. All lessons are 30 minutes in length. Call the Rec Services office at 419.289.5440 for additional information or to schedule lessons. All prices listed are per-person.
1 Private Lesson: $25
1 Semi-Private Lesson: $20
5 Private Lessons: $115
5 Semi-Private Lessons: $95