The Instructional Resource Center is open to Ashland University students, faculty and staff. We provide resources such as laminating, Ellison Machines, color printing, button makers, and binding. Additionally, a small selection of materials and supplies are available on-site for purchase.
The IRC staff is prepared to assist users with laminating and binding, however drop-off service for projects is not provided.
Materials & Supplies Price List
|Binding||$0.75 - Includes cover sheet(s)|
|Binding - comb only||$0.50 each|
|Bulletin Board Paper||$0.15 per foot - all colors|
|Button maker: 1 5/8 inch button||$0.20 per button, $0.05 per additional plastic cover|
|Button maker: 2 1/3 inch button||$0.25 per button, $0.05 per additional plastic cover|
|Button maker: 3 1/8 inch button||$0.30 per button, $0.05 per additional plastic cover|
|Construction paper||$.05 per sheet|
|Ellison Cuts||$.01 per cut using our paper|
|Ellison Cuts||Use own paper = free|
|Laminating||$1 per sheet, desk top laminator|
|Laminating||$1 per foot, roll-top laminator|
|Poster & Tag board||$1 per sheet|
|Printing (color)||$.10 per page - all prints using color printer|
|Sentence Strips||$.05 for two|
We are unable to accept bills larger than $20 for payment of IRC services.
IRC Button Makers
The IRC has three button sizes to use creating pin buttons 1 & 5/8 inch , 2 & 1/3 inch in diameter, and 3 1/8 inch in diameter. Our button makers are Mr. Button bench press machines (manual); each button size has a corresponding assembly die and circle cutter for creating inserts.
About the Button Makers
- The price for each button includes the button shell, button pin (back), and plastic disc cover.
- Users are responsible for providing their own paper inserts.
- Additional plastic disc covers may be purchased as needed for $0.05.
Button Maker Policy
- IRC Button maker supplies MUST be used for all buttons.
- IRC Button circle cutters MUST be used for all projects.
- There is a charge for additional plastic disc covers (see above).
- You may make up to ten (10) buttons per visit.
- Users must furnish their own button paper inserts.
- Only COPY PAPER inserts may be used to make buttons. Color copy paper is acceptable.
- Paper inserts created using the IRC color printer incur color printing charges.
- Users are responsible for creating their own buttons.
- IRC staff is available to assist with directions as needed.
Button Maker Tips
- Different directions are available for each size button. Be sure to use the correct button maker die and accompanying direction.
- Directions are available with button makers in the IRC and online: 1 5/8 inch and 3 1/8 inch assembly, 2 1/3 inch assembly, and circle cutter instructions.
- There are MANY steps involved when making a button. It is not difficult, but the process will take time.
- Button size indicated is the VIEWABLE size of each button. When cutting paper insert to the proper size, the cirlce will be somewhat larger. Keep this in mind when designing your button insert.
- Circle cutters are available for each button assembly die, be sure to cut the correct size.
- Place paper insert carefully in the button maker assembly die. Image should always be face up in the die.
- When placing the pin back in the button maker, be sure to do so according to the directions. Pay particular attention to how the button pin will open.
Button Maker: Try Me
Not sure if the button maker is right for your project? Give it a try! For 25 cents you get materials for one small button - plus a second plastic disc if a second try with the machine is needed.
Ellison Machines & Die Cut Collection
The IRC has five Ellison Prestige Pro die cut machines available for use. We have an extensive Ellison Die collection including over 250 general dies, 19 word dies, 14 border dies, 8 combo dies, and thirteen (13) alphabet fonts in both upper and lower case.
- Patrons who bring their own paper may use die cut machines for free.
- ANY use of our paper (even scrap box paper) is a penny per cut.
- A variety of paper types may be used including construction paper, craft paper, newsprint, and wrapping paper.
- Considering a different paper source? Be sure to ask in the IRC prior to using the machines.
Interested in specifics? Looking for a particular die or alphabet? A complete listing of our Ellison Die collection is available on the IRC Pinterest page.
- Animal Ellison Dies
- Borders & XL Ellison Dies
- Community & Community Helper Ellison Dies
- Geography & Social Studies Ellison Dies
- Holiday Ellison Dies
- Math Ellison Dies
- Science Ellison Dies
- Seasons & Weather Ellison Dies
- Sport & Health Ellison Dies
- Word(s) Ellison Dies
A color printer is available in the IRC, print jobs may be sent to our printer (Aficio CL3000) from any computer located in the IRC proper or on the second floor. Send your print job and stop in the IRC to pay, your project will then be released for printing. Color printing is not available when the IRC is closed.
- Print jobs sent to the color printer cost $.10 per page
- Duplex printing is available for $.20 per page
- Only paper available in the IRC may be used in the color printer.
The IRC accepts the following payment options for color printing:
- Check made out to "Ashland University" for exact amount of purchase
- Ashland University Transfer of Funds (form)
The IRC is unable to take your Eagle Card or credit /debit card as payment for color printing.
IRC Copy Machine
The second floor copy machine, located directly outside the IRC,is managed by the Dwight Schar College of Education (COE). It is available to COE students during field experiences. Instructors will notify students regarding number of copies available. Students are responsible for knowing their username and ID number; number of copies assigned and remaining; and for logging out of the copy machine when finished.
Copier Access FAQs:
- Students will be notified by their course instructors regarding a start date for copy machine access.
- Username is your AU email ID (without the @ashland.edu).
- ID number/password is your seven digit AU ID (do not use au- in front of the number).
- Number of copies used and available will display on the bottom left corner of the main screen after each successful login (i.e. 52/200 means 52 of allotted 200 copies have been used).
- Students are required to log out of the copier at the end of every session.
- When quota is exhausted, students will not receive additional copies.
- All user accounts will be disabled two weeks after the end of each semester.
General Copier FAQs:
- Copy size is 8 1/2 x 11 only, larger paper is not available.
- Duplex copies are possible; each duplex copy counts as two copies from the quota.
- It is possible to duplex from single or two-sided originals.
- Only the copy paper provided may be used in the copy machine; construction paper, tag board, poster board, transparencies or other items are not permitted.
- The copier does not make color copies.
IRC student workers are available to help students with general copy machine functions. However, IRC student workers are unable to provide users with login or usage information. All access and login questions should be directed to Terri Bissel, administrative assistant, Dwight Schar College of Education, during normal business hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.). If trouble-shooting copier problems via telephone, students should be prepared to verify their identity (social security number) with Ms. Bissel.
All other users will be directed to AU Library copy machines located on the library main floor.
There are two types of laminating machines available for use in the Instructional Resource Center, roll and desk top. IRC staff is available to instruct users on laminating machine usage; drop off service for laminating projects is not provided. The Instructional Resource Center staff is not responsible for items users choose to laminate, or the condition of items after lamination.
We recommend using the roll laminator for most laminating jobs. This machine is more cost effective ($1 per foot) and facilitates larger jobs quickly.
- Users should be prepared for the initial 15-20 minute wait while the machine reaches the correct laminating temperature.
- It is possible to laminate items that are up to 24 inches in width.
- It is possible to laminate items such as posters, poster board, file folders, and construction paper.
- If you have questions regarding an item to be laminated, ask in the IRC for help.
If you are coming from another on-campus location, feel free to call ahead (x5406) or use Ask the IRC chat to request the laminator be turned on to pre-heat.
Desk Top Laminator(s)
Two desk top laminators are available in the IRC. These machines are ideal for smaller jobs, we have laminating film perfect for 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
- Users should be prepared for a 3-5 minute wait while the machine reaches correct laminating temperature.
- It is possible to laminate copy paper, construction paper, and card stock.
- Smaller items may be combined within the laminating pouch.
Items larger than the laminating pouch should be handled by the roll laminator.
Paying in the IRC
Payment for IRC supplies and services is required at time of purchase. The IRC accepts the follow three forms of payment for services and supplies.
- Checks made out to Ashland University for exact purchase amount
- Ashland University transfer of funds forms.
The IRC is unable to take your AU Eagle Card or credit / debit cards for payment.
Charging to a University Account?
We will complete a transfer of funds form for your qualified purchase; transfer forms are submitted to the business office at the end of each month.
- Have your account name and number ready.
- Be authorized to complete the transaction.
- A signature is required for any account transfer purchase.
- The IRC does not keep account numbers on file.
Paying by check or cash?
The IRC accepts cash and personal checks for payment.
- We are unable to accept anything larger than a $20 bill.
- Checks must be made out to the exact amount and payable to "Ashland University."
- We will be happy to write a receipt for your purchase, be sure to ask at point of sale.