About the College
At the Dwight Schar College of Education, we offer a number of programs to address your needs:
- Undergraduate degrees
- Teacher certification with a related degree
- Certificate or graduate programs to expand your professional growth
- Advanced preparation in leadership
We deliver many of our programs in Elyria and Columbus and we also offer online programming. Whatever your goals may be, know that our faculty and staff are committed to serving you.
We are committed to preparing individuals to make a profound difference in the lives of all children, their families and the communities in which they live. We recognize the vital ties between theory and practice that serve as the foundation for a lifelong career of service. We care deeply about our students, and we recognize the awesome responsibility we have to model the kind of reflective practice needed in today’s rapidly changing world. Further, we are committed to nurturing growth so our graduates develop the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to serve children, their families and their communities.
Our faculty and staff work diligently to ensure that our students experience the following:
- A deep understanding of human development and how it relates to teaching, classroom management and communicating with families
- A strong knowledge base related to all pertinent academic disciplines
- High-quality field experiences through strong partnerships with schools and community agencies
- A clear understanding of the performance standards expected of service professionals
- A strong focus on diversity that includes frameworks and strategies for working in diverse communities
- Extensive use of technology
- Meaningful assessments that reflect authentic experiences clearly linked to professional standards
- A pervasive culture of reflective practice where continuous improvement of programs and individual performance is modeled by all
There are special benefits to studying in a cohort.
- Master’s in Educational Leadership with Administrative Licensure
- M. Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction: Talent Development Education
- M. Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction: Educational Technology
- Computer/Technology Endorsement
- Gifted Intervention Specialist Endorsement
- TESOL Certificate
- TESOL Endorsement Program
To learn more, provide your contact information and we’ll reach out.
Lisa Vernon-Dotson, Ph.D.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean
Stephen Denney, Ph.D.
Chair, Teacher Education
Jennifer Groman, Ph.D.
Chair, Doctoral Studies and Advanced Programs
Laura Kanney, M.Ed.
Director of Field Experiences and Partnerships
Rick Breault, Ed.D
Director of Licensure
Director of Doctoral Studies