The Student Accessibility Center works with eligible students to ensure equal access to education and university life. It is a collaborative effort between the student, staff, faculty members and Student Accessibility Center (SAC) to facilitate access, promote inclusion on campus and provide equal educational opportunities at Ashland University.

Our office evaluates and approves reasonable accommodations for students with a disability. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, a disability includes any “physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.” Any student with a verified disability could include physical, psychological or learning disabilities, communicative disorders or temporary injuries (e.g. concussions, broken or sprained limbs).

Accommodations based on verifiable documentation may include:

  • Testing in a distraction-reduced area

  • Priority registration

  • Testing with extended time

  • Access to assistive technology

  • Providing a scribe for testing in cases of temporary injury

Grievance Procedure: Any student who believes they have been discriminated against based on disability may seek assistance from the Student Accessibility Center to engage in an interactive process to seek resolution. Please read the Disability Discrimination Grievance Procedure to learn how to seek assistance.

Contact Information

Ohio Relay Dial 711

Requesting Academic Accommodations

Students who wish to request accommodations (including temporary accommodations due to injury) are encouraged to self-disclose by initiating the process and providing documentation of their disability. Upon approval, students will not be accommodated unless they provide their instructors with a letter from the Student Accessibility Center. If you are a new or current student, we are happy to talk with you anytime about what support we can offer.

Requesting Housing Accommodations

If you are requesting a modification to your housing arrangements as an accommodation for a disability, please follow these steps to request housing accommodations through the Student Accessibility Center.

Deadlines: Any student who currently has an accommodation and wants to maintain that accommodation next year must go through the renewal process. You must submit your Housing Accommodations Request Form by January 31 to apply for housing accommodations for the following academic year. Accommodations need to be renewed every year; they do not roll over from one year to another.

Other Accommodations

Dietary Accommodations

Dining Services works with Student Health Services and a Registered Dietitian to provide for specific clinical dietary needs. Students are encouraged to contact Fred Geib in Dining Services to discuss their dietary needs. Requests are reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If you find that the dining plans offered by the university do not meet your needs due to food allergies or other medically-related dietary restrictions, you can request accommodations by contacting the Student Accessibility Center. 

Emotional Support Animals

For Emotional Support Animal requests, please complete the following steps:

  1. Carefully read the ESA Policies and Procedures to understand the specifics for requesting this accommodation. 
  2. Complete the online ESA Housing Accommodations Request Form.
  3. Download the ESA Healthcare Verification Form and have your licensed healthcare provider complete the form to establish the presence of a disability and disability-related need for an ESA.
  4. Download the ESA Policies and Procedures to review and sign.

Service Animals

A service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Service Animals are generally permitted to accompany their handlers in any building or public space where their handlers are permitted. If you have questions or would like assistance planning for a Service Animal at Ashland University, or have a concern about your treatment and access when accompanied by your Service Animal, please contact the Student Accessibility Center.